Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite VPN (PPTP) issue

I'm running Yosemite (OS X 10.10) on a MacBookPro 15" Mid 2010

From the very first pre-release up to now with the first official Yosemite version I've experienced PPTP issues.

If I set up my (local) ethernet card manually PPTP does not work.

If I leave it as full DHCP, then PPTP does work.

Of course both PPTP configurations are the same and the ethernet card setting are the same (I forced my router to assign a specific IP address etc. to it).

I was wondering if this could be a bug or something.

cheers

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 10:19 AM

57 replies

Oct 19, 2014 10:10 AM in response to edo rizzi

When using a static IP address and manual entries for subnet and router in the network settings, Yosemite VPN fails to stay connected. This is probably a bug or an error that Apple needs to fix.

When having the client computer (the one you are using) network settings configured to either just use DHCP or DHCP with manual address, the VPN connections (both L2TP and PPTP) work. If using ARD to access computers on the local network, the results are better if you select "Send all traffic over VPN connection" under advanced options for the VPN connection.

Oct 20, 2014 6:34 PM in response to yaoyp

Using the ethernet service WITHOUT IPv4 being set to configure by DHCP results in VPN not being able to connect. Getting an ethernet card is not likely to resolve the issue - Apple needs to fix the problem with its code.

As an interim workaround to use VPN, you can either set the ethernet connection configured to use DHCP (with or without using a manual address for the machine), or connect using wi-fi to VPN. To connect using wi-fi, in Network preferences set the Service Order so that wi-fi is listed first in the list. Alternatively, set up an alternative Location under Network preferences so that only wi-fi or ethernet configured by DHCP and then switch back and forth between your normal settings and the interim DHCP or wi-fi only location.

Oct 22, 2014 2:25 AM in response to mszn

Even if it does not solve the problem but I can explain why GlobalConnect does not work.

The reason is, that pangpd.kext is not compatible with the new 10.10 kernel. We will need an updated version of Global Protect with an pangpd.kext that is compiled against the latest kernel. I already asked my ip help desk to provide me with a new version

From PanGPS.log:

P 630-T5135 Oct 18 18:57:46:572224 Info ( 34): Mac OS X 10.10.0

/Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources/pangpd.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not loadable (reason unspecified); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Hope that makes waiting a little bit easier

Manuel

Oct 22, 2014 9:16 AM in response to edo rizzi

I can confirm that I have similar issues with VPN connectivity. I'm trying to tether trough my iPad and when I start the CiscoAnyConnect I can see that it connects, builds the tunnel, but then it tears it down and it throws a weird error. User uploaded file

I have to say that if I am on any regular WiFi connection I can VPN with no problem. What it appears to me that this is an issue on how the tethering device (in my case iPad) and the laptop with Yosemite OS X are handling the connection. I've talked to our network guys and we were looking at the firewall logs and there was an event that was saying something sort of 3G/4G connection can't be established based on PPPExtended (I can't remember the exact words). What it looked like, and how my counterpart explained to me is that once the VPN tunnel is built, it appears that it can’t install the LAN subnet routes on the tunnel interface (assuming on my laptop), and then the connection gets dismantled.

Clearly this looks like an Yosemite issue while tethering with another iOS device with 8.1.

Yosemite VPN (PPTP) issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.