Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to cancel OS X Yosemite download?

I have a 13-inch MacBook Air.

I had just downloaded OS X Yosemite with no problem. I then went into the App Store after the download/installation had finished, and went to updates (as there was a notification that there was an update). I then received a notification asking if I wanted to download and install OS X Yosemite. Of course, I didn't want to do that again (seeing as though I had just done that). I went to click on the "cancel" button, but accidentally clicked "Continue". The operating system then began to download. I didn't want this to happen because if it continued to download and eventually install, it would take up another 5.16 GB of Hard Drive space, which I really don't want. I went in to Launchpad and paused the download. Keep in mind that I did this last night, and when I opened up this morning, the download was still paused (I had hoped it would go away, but I was wrong). I looked on the internet to find a way to cancel the download, but I haven't found anything (and yes, I've tried dragging it into the trash with no luck). I would appreciate if anyone has any insight on this topic and is willing to help me.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 12:29 PM

In Launchpad click and hold the Yosemite installer's icon. When all the icons start jiggling and an X appears on the icons, click the X.

5 replies

How to cancel OS X Yosemite download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.