Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 no longer has Get Info setting to apply album name to all tracks

I just upgraded to iTunes 12 on a Mac. I cannot figure out how to apply Album name to all tracks in a playlist. Get Info doesn't have that as a category anymore. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 12-core 2.66GHz

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:09 PM

6 replies

Oct 18, 2014 2:44 PM in response to bvkoski

I should have indicated that the tracks when added to iTunes didn't have an album name included - these were tutorial movie tracks to view on the iPad - the only way to keep them together is by album name and treat as TV shows for iPad import. Where I have playlists and the album is indicated, there is no problem to edit or combine. The problem is when the playlist has no album name as a category. Get Info in that case shows no album field at all, nor can you add a field - the only option to add is "comments". Not sure why Apple removed this simple capability. The album name applied to all is what keeps the whole thing together. It looks like it's only possible by applying the album name to each track separately in the main window - that's time-consuming when dealing with 12 albums with 99 tracks each.

Oct 22, 2014 12:11 PM in response to bvkoski

While this is definitely a workaround, I thought I might suggest something. The fields seem to be type sensitive on iTunes 12.

So, Album, Album Artist, and some others are available for Music/Music Videos. So, if you have your tracks as something other than these, it won't show up. However, iTunes 12 doesn't delete fields, so you could change the type to Music Video and then put info into those fields, then change the type back to whatever you had them as in the first place.

I did this while importing some TV Seasons. The strange thing is that iTunes still lists Album on the unwatched list for TV Seasons. So, for those that are imported, it says unknown album. It's bad enough that Apple took away some useful fields from some types in the standard Get Info window, and then didn't even allow you to add them back again if you wanted, but they actually use these fields in some views and it messes those views up.

Hope this helps.

iTunes 12 no longer has Get Info setting to apply album name to all tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.