Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! itunes 12 splitting all my albums up

Hello, can someone help - please! I have just installed iTunes 12 and I really wished that I had not. It has split up every single album I own - over five hundred - into separate groups. How can I put the albums back together again? I have tried the old method of renaming/adding new sorting field, but to no avail. It is looking bleak... Someone please help! Thank you!

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:29 PM

39 replies

Sep 13, 2017 7:04 PM in response to PianoMax

i had the same problem. to the point i deleted my itunes libuary and started again. i redownload all my stuff from the store only. and low and behold the split happened again. talk about a new way of being frustrating. you would think it would just be a coding problem, but it still happend on version 11 now on 12 and it got worse. hope we get a hot fix patch.

Oct 24, 2014 3:44 PM in response to turingtest2

I observed this behavior (albeit for just a couple of albums out of more than 4000) - albums that had been grouped correctly in iTunes 11 were shown as in one case two albums and in the other 4 separate albums after the update to iTunes 12. I've not been able to detect any underlying cause - the "fix" I used was to set and then unset the "part of a compilation" flag.

Oct 24, 2014 8:34 PM in response to hhgttg27

hello,

tried this on two split albums, batted .500. not a solution for me. again its hit or miss, and i have about 2500 albums in my library.

there also does not appear to be any noob instructions for setting sorting tags in iTunes 12 anywhere i have found. perhaps someone could help with this.

i am more than willing to resort manually if necessary, just need a step by step that works consistently.

Oct 25, 2014 5:37 AM in response to DrForBin

Thank you for your help. The post from turingtest2 was very detailed and useful, thank you. Sadly, iTunes 12 does not seem to respond to any of these methods. It is very frustrating, but reassuring to see I am not the only one, than you for replying. Hopefully, someone has a solution...

Oct 26, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Maff

hello,

this is untenable, i need a pointer to or instructions for downgrading from iTunes 12.

my library is on an external drive (H) and the .itl file is on my internal (C).

looking at the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder on the C drive, i find an .itl file dated 2014-10-20 as the latest one. will this file be the one i should use to downgrade from iTunes 12? this is the date i "upgraded."

i am extraordinarily disappointed that there is no easy fix for this issue after six days since i installed the program, and now eight days after the original post.

we are a committed iTunes/iPod household with 8 iPods currently in service for 4 users.

i am also baffled that my Vista install does not have this issue and my WIN7 does.

Oct 26, 2014 3:23 PM in response to DrForBin

Without seeing the issue it is hard to tell what might be going on, but I would hazard a guess that if albums weren't split in the previous version of iTunes then some combination of settings should be able to resolve the issue in the new one.

If you really want to roll back to 11.4 uninstall all iTunes/Apple components, restore the pre-upgrade version of the library as described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash, then download and install from one of these direct links:

If you have trouble uninstalling or reinstalling see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Nov 22, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Maff

I had spent years, literally, adding my music collection to itunes. Managing the 100 G of albums so that they were all correct, even disc order and compendium settings.

Then one upgrade about two years ago, it was completely ripped apart.

I've never been able to get them back in order.

Luckily, I spent days uploading to google music manager prior to that as a backup. They remain there in correct format.

I believe apple couldnt care less.

They've never solutioned the faults.They merely shrug their shoulders.

Dec 12, 2014 3:29 PM in response to Maff

Hi all, I have the Same Problem since the Last iTunes Update. Albums suddenly split up, when playing a track. When playing a track, this track disappears from the "Original" Album and creates a new album. This happens with each track, each played track "wanders" from the original album to the "new" album......so in the end - after playing/doubleclicking each track - there is ONE album AGAIN. Unfortunately this happens not always, often the albums keep split.

I've tried every solution, especially editing Album artist, Artist and sort criteria (artist, Album artist) accordingly (=setting those tags/metainformation identical).

This helps only temporarily, the split Albums get "reunited" BUT, after ONE day or so, Albums, which didn't split shortly after editing (I tested it multiple times), start splitting up again!!

IMO it is definitely a severe bug in iTunes (12+Yosemite)

Interestingly, the split Albums have different tags again (e.g. different artists or Album artitst), altough BEFORE splitting up, ALL tags (especially Artist and Album artist and all sort criteria) were definitely IDENTICAL in all tracks. I checked this over and over.

It seems to me hat iTunes doesn't "remember"=store correctly manual edits of tags/Meta-Information.

Furthermore, this happens mostly with Albums bought via iTunes, whose tags/Meta-Information has been edited once, but not with self-ripped CDs.

Dec 12, 2014 4:20 PM in response to PianoMax

PianoMax wrote:

Furthermore, this happens mostly with Albums bought via iTunes, whose tags/Meta-Information has been edited once, but not with self-ripped CDs.

I would bet that it is only with store material.

In iTunes go to Edit/iTunes > Preferences > Store and turn off

• Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases
  • Share details about your library with Apple

On any iOS device go to Settings > Music and turn off

Show All Music

Close iTunes. Reopen. You may see your changed data straight away, or it may revert when you play content.

I believe when those settings are enabled iTunes sometimes reads the store properties while checking for cloud content and then attaches them to your copies of the files. When you play the tracks iTunes switches back to your edited metadata.

tt2

Dec 13, 2014 12:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response , unfortunately the solution you suggested doesn' work.

But I narrowed down the whole thing to a "sorting" problem, = a problem with the metadata in the "tab" "sorting" in the single tracks.

An example: I have an album (bought in itunes) , which has in the section/tab "SORTING" identical data for ALL tracks. Especially the entries for "Album" and "Sorting as" are identical (=the album name)

Now I play a single track, the album splits up - the played track disappears from the "original" album and goes to a new album with (so far) only this track.

But now this track shows another "sorting" metadata! It shows additional entries in the "sorting" tab: "Name" and "sorting as" which are the name of the track.

The entries in "sorting" for "album" and "sorting as" (under album) keep the same, but obviously itunes sorts according to the track name and not the album name.

So on playing back a track there´s some additional sorting criteria added automatically.

On playing back each track, this track switches from the original album to the "new" (split) album...but after playing back all tracks, there´s again on album with the original metadata.

strange thing and definitely didn't happen before itunes 12.

Dec 17, 2014 2:00 AM in response to PianoMax

Again, I think this is (current) store metadata vs. whatever is in your tags. If they don't match then as you play tracks the version in your library which has been updated from the store reverts to that stored in the tags, splitting the album up until all tracks have reverted. My script UpdateTagInfo may be able to speed up the process of refreshing the iTunes database with the content of each track's tag.

tt2

Help! itunes 12 splitting all my albums up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.