Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks Not Responding

Day i: Loaded Yosemite; iBooks better but not that great. Day 2: iBooks opens but shows Not Responding even when only application running. Reload, reboot, tried most everything with same results. Four reports to Apple ... iBooks is dead. I'm sure there is some little file that I can throw away and the problem will be fixed but since it happened once, will the problem simply reoccur? — Mike

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:52 PM

11 replies

Oct 19, 2014 5:34 PM in response to Michael Parker11

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take one of the actions that you're having trouble with. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Oct 19, 2014 5:55 PM in response to Linc Davis

Followed instruction but not sure what is relevant.

From System log

10-19-14 8:41:55.083 PM sandboxd[3935]: ([4321]) iBooks(4321) deny file-read-data /Library/Preferences/com.apple.commerce.plist

10-19-14 8:41:56.987 PM sandboxd[3935]: ([4330]) com.apple.Commer(4330) deny file-issue-extension /Users/m.../Library/Caches/com.apple.CommerceKit.TransactionService

10-19-14 8:41:58.166 PM sandboxd[3935]: ([4330]) com.apple.Commer(4330) deny mach-lookup com.apple.nsurlstorage-cache

10-19-14 8:41:58.225 PM sandboxd[3935]: ([4330]) com.apple.Commer(4330) deny file-issue-extension /Users/m.../Library/Caches/com.apple.CommerceKit.TransactionService

10-19-14 8:41:58.291 PM sandboxd[3935]: ([4330]) com.apple.Commer(4330) deny mach-lookup com.apple.nsurlstorage-cache

10-19-14 8:42:00.356 PM sandboxd[3935]: ([4330]) com.apple.Commer(4330) deny file-read-data /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security-common.plist

then when not responding (probably)

10-19-14 8:43:27.028 PM WindowServer[145]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "loginwindow" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

10-19-14 8:43:28.424 PM WindowServer[145]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "loginwindow" after 2.40 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

10-19-14 8:43:29.512 PM nsurlstoraged[274]: ERROR: shrinkDB - unable to start a DB transaction. Error-code=5

10-19-14 8:43:42.801 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[2929]: unexpected message <OS_xpc_error: <error: 0x7fff7a301c60> { count = 1, contents =

"XPCErrorDescription" => <string: 0x7fff7a301f70> { length = 18, contents = "Connection invalid" }

}>

10-19-14 8:43:42.963 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.iBooksX.95456[4321]) Service exited due to signal: Terminated: 15

10-19-14 8:43:43.248 PM nsurlstoraged[274]: ERROR: shrinkDB - unable to start a DB transaction. Error-code=5

10-19-14 8:44:13.411 PM nsurlstoraged[274]: ERROR: shrinkDB - unable to start a DB transaction. Error-code=5

Note: Discovered not responding but if you wait 5 or 10 minutes it responds and then goes not responding for another 5 or 10 minutes ... etc.

Oct 19, 2014 6:28 PM in response to Michael Parker11

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore is not, in itself, a solution.

First, empty the Trash, if possible.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) 2>&- | wc -l | pbcopy

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be a number. It's automatically copied to the Clipboard. Please paste it into a reply.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Oct 20, 2014 2:55 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same problem (if I understood correctly...)

After the upgrade to iOS Yosemite, whenever I'm using ibooks and I maximise the page, afterwards the panels on both the top and the bottom of the page won't appear when I move the cursor to the top or the bottom. Therefore, the panels with the extra options won't appear and I cannot minimise, quit, or do pretty much anything.

I found out, though, that if I click on a certain spot (where I believe is the position of an option on the top toolbar, like "safari" or "file" or "edit" etc), then the next emerging panels do appear (even though I don't see the original toolbar or the original option. I simply click blindly on the supposed spot) and I click on "quit ibooks" to be able to see my desktop again.

I tried to restart, but it wasn't fixed.

Oct 20, 2014 12:49 PM in response to Michael Parker11

Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

For this step, you will again have to enter "sh" if you closed the Terminal window.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Oct 20, 2014 2:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

Step 1 had no apparent effect (iBooks still went No Response). Performed Step 2. At first iBooks appeared No Response (just standard WINDOW actions available but the spinning ball whenever the content of the window or menu was iBooks ... but then I inadvertently double-clicked in the window bar which minimized the window, then when I maximized the window, the ball was gone and so far it looks like iBooks is acting normal.

Interesting: for me it seemed to clear up with the window being min-maximized which makes esiligouna's report (above) seem relevant to the problem.

Good for now. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2014 6:11 PM in response to esiligouna

Same here, I just posted the issue. I looked at my logs and it looks like there is a bug somewhere in the titlebar view controller. Which likely can't be fixed without a software patch:

** Assertion failure in -[NSTitlebarAccessoryViewController _auxiliaryViewFrameChanged:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1343.14/Toolbar.subproj/NSTitlebarAccessoryViewContr oller.m:120

iBooks Not Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.