Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages.app/Facetime Broken/Not-Working in Yosemite 10.10

Hi all.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem with Messages.app/iMessage/Facetime after upgrading/installing Yosemite (the release version)? My Messages doesn't work.

The Problems

(A) Specifically, when you enter your AppleID in Messages.app->Preferences->Accounts->iMessagesAccount you get the following error:

Quote:

Could not sign in to iMessage.
Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again.
Sometimes the error says it cannot activate.

(B) Also, oddly, FaceTime makes me enter my AppleID every time i reboot, but will work for Video FaceTime chats, but not audio? And once I reboot, it again asks me for my AppleID.

My Setup

I have a 2010 Mac Pro.

My Mac Pro is not stock, but nothing that's in there *should* cause a problem, so I wonder if anyone else is having a similar issue. My non stock hardware is:
  1. --MacVidCard 802.11ac and bluetooth 4.0 upgrade card (http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p33...port_Card.html)
  2. --VisionTek 7750 Eyefinity 6 2GB card (https://www.visiontek.com/graphics-c...rd-detail.html)
  3. --OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 SSD (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/P...Accelsior/RAID)
  4. --Inateck 4 port PCI-E to USB 3.0 card (which has requires no drivers and is a pretty compatible card) (http://www.inateck.com/inateck-kt400...er-connection/)
  5. --Upgraded the 12-core 2.66ghz motherboard to 12-core 3.46 west mere x5690 xenon (turnkey OWC upgrade) (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnk...Xeon_Processor)
Here is some of the troubleshooting I've already done:
  1. I tried making a new guest account and tried to login there, and went so far as to install a clean install on a blank external drive with similar results.

The only caveat is when you make the new guest account of fresh install, when you first put in your AppleID it almost kinda succeeds. You initially see the screen where Messages tells you it's associating your phone number and a few email addresses together. But if you try to use Messages, nothing gets through, and when you quit and re-run the app, you get that same 'could not sign in' error.

2. Went through the stuff here to no avail:

messages "An error occurred while activating. Try again later"

3. My serial number does show in about this Mac.
  4. Messages/iMessage/Facetime all work(ed) fine under 10.9.x on the Mac Pro, so it should not be a hardware issue, as I didn't change any hardware over after upgrading.
  5. I installed Yosemite on my 2013 13" Macbook Pro and Messages/Facetime all work fine, so it's likely nothing to do with my network.
  6. I have confirmed that others that have done the MacVidCard 802.11ac/bluetooth upgrade are not experiencing this issue.
  7. Same with the USB card.
  8. Since I installed a fresh OS on an external drive, I doubt the OWC Accelsior has anything to do with this.
  9. I called apple support, and they are stumped and getting engineers to figure it out. One support guy at apple said the broken Messages.app problems were his only unresolvable problem he was getting this since Yosemite launched (and that it has been an exceptionally smooth launch), and had 4 calls on the same issue early morning the day after launch (he's one level up from the entry support folks and the only level above him are the actual software engineers).
  10. The video card seems highly unlikely to matter here. Then again, I'm not sure the hardware should matter at all...Which leaves me with...

My Suspicion

I think there may be an interplay between 2 things going on. One, although I haven't changed my motherboard, perhaps changing the processor tray makes something fail with the Messages authentication? And second, perhaps there is some corrupted data up on iCloud that alone or in combination with the processor tray, is tripping up Messages verification? The solution might be to bring my machine in and have them do some magic to make the serial number authorized on their system?

Appreciate any thoughts and thanks for any help. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 2:13 PM

118 replies

Apr 19, 2017 4:26 PM in response to arjay67

WOW -- thrilled to read this! I know it's old. But I've been working with Apple Support since SEPTEMBER 2016! NOTHING! (8 months)

Sat and waited for engineering!

Still nothing! Reading this thread now.... praying....

I'm actually an ex Apple Store Employee (LA 2008 baby!) -- We would've been all over this thing back then. (Yes, I also went to the AppleStore in PA... TWICE!)

Oct 20, 2014 7:57 AM in response to sdfadsasdfsadweasveaefwefqwef

Thanks SDF. The more I think about it, the more I agree. It did work under Mavericks. Perhaps they increased security and got IDs off the processors and refuse a connection when the processorIDs do not match the serial number, but I tend to think that's not highly likely. And I am hearing others with MacBooks having the issue, which makes the processor thing even more likely to be a red herring.

Oct 22, 2014 5:22 AM in response to jkheit

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and Messages opens with just a blank window. I have had occasional messages saying that their is another computer using the same IP address on my network since upgrading the Macbook Pro.

Sometimes the messages window says ":No conversations selected"and sometimes it is just blank.

When I click on status it says I am offline.

Everything works fine on my iMac running Mavericks.

Oct 22, 2014 10:19 AM in response to jkheit

My issue is the same as the above.

I am unable to log in to either FaceTime or Messages. I get 'An error occurred during activation. Try again.' for both.

I am successfully logged in to iCloud on my 2014 MacBook Pro. It worked under Mavericks, and worked up until today under Yosemite.

I have made no hardware customizations to my laptop. It is as it was when i removed it from it's original packaging so I don't think it's a customization issue.

Thx

Oct 22, 2014 1:51 PM in response to jkheit

Hi,

Thanks for the detail.

You are getting a error message that has been popping up since Mountain Lion and Messages 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3970

As you can see from this Apple Doc there are 4 error message that they list in this Doc.

There is a 5th that produces this Error message pop up.

User uploaded file

We know this 5th one can ONLY be fixed by contact Support (although low level staff do not seem to be aware of it and try the "it's software or Hardware" and try to charge you).

There is a 6th issue where all the Contacts you try report that they are not registered with iMessages despite it working to the same people on an iPhone or other iOS device.

Apple have been made aware of this via feedback and via the Hosts of these Support Communities (although it is only seen in Mavericks at the moment).

What these last two issue do prove is that it is possible to have a partial account failure with the ID that is being used with iMessages and that it can be specific to an individual Mac.

Before you try Apple Support you are probably going to have to work through the items in the linked Article as your error Message matches one of those listed.

User uploaded file

9:51 pm Wednesday; October 22, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Oct 22, 2014 4:06 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks Ralph. I worked through everything in FaceTime, Game Center, Messages: Troubleshooting sign in issues. No dice.

Like I said, a clean install from Yosemite without even logging into iCloud, and it still doesn't work. To be clear, not putting your credentials into System Preferences>iCloud at all, and only putting in your login info for iMessages within Messages.app, off a completely clean install still results in failure. While, obviously in this case, it all works perfectly well under Mavericks on the exact same machine. So the notion that there is something corrupted up in iCloud perhaps is likely, but it's baffling as I'm not involving any other iCloud services.

I haven't gotten to the 6th, as I can't get it to login at all. This is a very weird error, and I'm apparently not alone in experiencing it.

Oct 22, 2014 10:28 PM in response to jkheit

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take one of the actions that you're having trouble with. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Oct 23, 2014 3:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

I seem to be getting this in the console, at least i think that is the relevant error :

23/10/14 12:19:06,581 cloudd[234]: <CKDGetRecordsURLRequest: 0x7f930adaa2c0> Failed to get push token, soldiering on.

I also see this :

23/10/14 12:23:58,635 apsd[49]: Push provisioning protocol error, push is now disabled

23/10/14 12:28:06,603 apsd[49]: Certificate not yet generated

I also notice that Yosemite can't read my serial number. The logic board has been replaced on this laptop several years ago by a certified apple reseller.

Oct 23, 2014 12:51 PM in response to jkheit

Hi,

It will be interesting to see if Linc's post produces any info in this case that we can work with.

I still feel there are two or three related issues that require you to contact Apple Support regarding how the Mac/iMessages ID logs into the iMessages server.

Whilst the ID does seem to have to be an iCloud linked one it is accessing a totally separate server.

It only references the Apple ID server to verify the password.

The issue does seem to be with the iMessages server and possibly only contact with Apple Support will sort that.

User uploaded file

8:51 pm Thursday; October 23, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 23, 2014 12:53 PM in response to _Scubix_

Hi,

If the Serial Number is missing only having it replaced at an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Services Provider will fix it.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Thursday; October 23, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages.app/Facetime Broken/Not-Working in Yosemite 10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.