Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime on Mac won't log in since Yosemite update

MacBook Air 2012 -

I am able to successfully log in FaceTime on both my iPhone & iPad. I can make and receive calls on my iPad. I was able to use FaceTime on my Mac without any issues a week ago but since the Yosemite update I have been unable. The error message: Your Apple ID "...@icloud.com" can't be used to set up FaceTime at this time. I then get instructed to contact Apple Support.

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 2:49 PM

9 replies

Oct 19, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Rowie85

There is no official public documentation of that alert as far as I know, but apparently it can sometimes mean that the primary or alternate email address is invalid. Search the Web for the phrase "My Apple ID." The top hit should be an Apple web page with that title. I'm not giving a direct link because such links are never to be trusted. Sign in and verify the ID.

Otherwise, do as the alert directs. According to reports, you won't be charged for the support call if you select "Apple ID"—not the hardware model—as the product you're asking about, and cite the "customer code" in the alert as the "validation code" when you speak to the Apple representative. I can't confirm.

Oct 19, 2014 6:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

There is nothing wrong with my iCloud account as I have it working on 2 other devices without any issues (i've logged in and out to make sure there are no issues with my password).

I'm unable to take on a phone conversation right now so i'll have to call tech support tomorrow. I was just hoping maybe someone else with the issue has found an answer.

Feb 9, 2015 2:09 PM in response to jclipshamUK

I couldn't log in, on my Macbook Pro, to either Facetime or iMessage after my upgrade to Yosemite. After a call to Apple, we figured out that Yosemite was no longer reporting a serial number for my motherboard (I had had it replaced earlier), and apparently Facetime/iMessage use that info for authentication. (Under "About My Mac," there was no serial number.) I took the computer to an Apple Store, and they ran a program that "reinscribes" a serial number back on to the board. (They still had a serial number recorded for me in their repair records.)

The whole process took about fifteen minutes, but definitely couldn't be done over the phone. I hope this spares other users some aggravation!

FaceTime on Mac won't log in since Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.