Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I do free updates without a valid credit card attached to AppleID? I want to UPDATE, not purchase.

I signed up for Family Share and now I can't do updates of any sort on my Mac or IPhone without a valid credit card. I even have a balance on my iTunes account but they don't seem to be able to use that either.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X 10.9.5

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:43 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2016 11:28 AM in response to risalynnette

I know the question was posted years ago.... But if anyone else has this same problem, then This is the answer your lookin for.... Fair warning it won't make you very happy but this post explains why it's all happening. I too have this same problem.

Here is the link to the post:

It denies my cards Everytime I switch it but there is nothing wrong with either it won't let me update apps or even purchase free one

Why can't I do free updates without a valid credit card attached to AppleID? I want to UPDATE, not purchase.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.