Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB Hard Drive not showing up, after Yosemite update

I recently updated my 13-inch Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013) to OS X Yosemite (10.10).

I have a Western Digital My Passport (2TB) external hard drive and when I plug it in, I can hear the hard drive running but its not showing up in finder, or on the desktop, even though I have the option to show them enabled. The hard drive is showing up in Disk Utility.

I have a lot of stuff on this hard drive, so I would like to stay as far as possible from wiping it clean.

The external hard drive I'm using is formatted to NTFS (that could be the problem but not quite sure).

If anyone has any fixes, please let me know by replying to this thread.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:13 PM

189 replies

Oct 10, 2017 9:12 AM in response to katzmannn

Thanks! I went to Finder's Preferences and clicked on the General Tab. I did have External Drive checked, but I checked Hard Drive too, then both the Mac HD and the WD External HD showed up on desktop. I unchecked the Hard Drive box and the Mac HD disappeared, but the WD still there. It worked. I would not have thought of it if it weren't for your post. Thanks again!

Oct 27, 2014 12:56 PM in response to Sachin_B

yosemite won't work with ntfs drives for some reason, i've had the same issue with my toshiba. i thought ok lemme buy another one, and transfer it over maybe it's a driver issue which i've tried over and over, apple support can't figure it out.

here's a simple fix, but the problem is i have an external where all my photography and video files are stored, so i can't access them right now and it's making my life ****.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Formatting_an_External_Device

that does work and make the drive mountable now, but problem being i can't obviously reformat the old drive and lose everything. once the new drive is formatted for mac i can't plug it into a pc to transfer the files from. which is the only problem now. but formatting the drive for mac only DOES work. but you're just screwed and not able to use it ntfs. hope the link helps SOME people.

Oct 27, 2014 1:34 PM in response to eatsleepshawnrpt

Also, just as a side note. This morning my external drive stopped working. I tried a few things, some utilities and such and figured that my enclosure had failed. After purchasing a new one, I found that it still didn't work. I had tried the usb port directly adjacent to the original port on my mac mini, and you guess it, it worked. It seems that half of my usb ports now no longer work. I have reset the pram and other things but still no luck. Tested with a low power device (thumb drive) and it lights up but still no joy. When I searched the other forums I noticed that others are having the same odd issues.

Thanks All.

TH😐

External USB Hard Drive not showing up, after Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.