Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete empty folders in launchpad..

After upgraded to Yosemite, I rearranged my launchpad. Normally, when the last icon left the folder, the folder should disappear automatically. In fact, it did. But after I restart the computer, those empty folders appear again! I've try to restart it several times and those folders are still there...

Do you guys have this problem?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 3:59 AM

Just Relaunch your Launchpad

Open Terminal

Copy and paste this commands on your terminal and hit return at the end of each line

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true

killall Dock

hope that helps,

21 replies

Nov 13, 2014 12:52 AM in response to 2chen

Yes, it one of the problems you can encounter using Launchpad at the moment. You can try to drag another app in the folder and empty the folder again. Sometimes that folder disappears, sometimes not.

There's a way to rebuild Launchpad but I won't not recommend that. It will bring Launchpad back in the default-setting, so you would have to start rearranging all over again, at the risk of having the same problems all over again.

So, just wait until the first update of Yosemite comes out. That might solve your problem. If the empty folders bother you, you could try to drag them to a new last page, so they are out of sight for now.

Jan 4, 2015 5:46 AM in response to 2chen

I, too have had the same issue. As others have found, adding something to the folder, renaming, removing the item works ... until you reboot.

Had thought about re-setting it as urangBandang suggested - just was hoping for an easier option (having not long arranged things into folders). However, I think an empty folder annoys me more than extra rearranging!

Can't delete empty folders in launchpad..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.