Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Issue - 60 min wait

hi,

hope I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. I've a 2012 Macbook Pro with an SSD and have recently upgraded to Yosemite.

The original install didn't work and I was stuck with the beachball on the Apole Logo on boot up. I decided to reinstall OSX from startup repair and second time around everything seemed ok. I logged in and although it took a couple of mins to load up the first time everything seemed quite fluid.

The problem was when I decided to reboot the Mac. The login screen loaded up quickly as normal (10-15 seconds) however when I tried to select an accout to login into the computer seems unresponsive. If I click on my user a second time the beachball appears and I sometimes have to wait 20-30 mins before I'm asked for a password. Then when I enter my password and press return it can be another 10-20 mins of the spinning ball before I am logged in. sometimes it doesn't work at all.

The odd thing is once I'm logged in everything appears to run normal speed without any real lag. I can log in and out of my account. It's only when I shut down or restart that the problem arises. It's really annoying as I used to be able to login from cold in well under a minute and now its pot luck if I login after at all.

I only have 2 accounts and the guest login and they all behave the sane way. does anyone else have this.

More Like This

No similar content found

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 4:21 PM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2014 12:27 PM in response to meddleuk

Howdy meddleuk,

It sounds like you are experiencing some huge periods of unresponsiveness when trying to log into one of the two accounts.
I would use the Safe Boot and Disk Utility sections of the following article to help you get that resolved, from the following article:

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Try a Safe Boot

If you're using Mac OS X 10.2 or later, you can start up your computer in Safe Mode, which includes an automatic disk check and repair. If you're using Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier, skip to the next section. A Safe Boot, which starts up your computer into Safe Mode, may allow you to start up your computer successfully using a reduced version of the system software. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. After the system has fully started up, restart your computer again normally.

If the computer successfully restarts, you do not need to do any more troubleshooting. If the issue persists, try Disk Utility.

Try Disk Utility

1. Start from the Recovery System or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion or Mountain Lion).
    If your computer shipped with a Mac OS X Install disc, insert the installation disc, and restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. If using a Recovery partition or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion and later): When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window.
    If using an installation disc: Choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
    Important: If you started from an installation disc, do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must start from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Tip: With Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier, always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Login Issue - 60 min wait

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.