Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alex not working under iOS 8.0.2 iPhone 6

I have enabled the Alex voice both under voiceover and speak selection. But when I select text and tap speak it always uses the default voice. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 7:32 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2015 10:50 AM in response to MacCrazyMan1985

I'm having issues also. iPhone 6/iOs 8.1.3 - I'm trying to use it without voiceover on. I set Alex as my default voice and it works with Messages, but basically nothing else. Sometimes with a two finger downswipe from the top of the screen I can get him to speak, but usually it doesn't play any sound (although the play button appears activated), but on occasion Alex has read the text using this method. If I select a text and choose "speak", I get the English voice that came standard with the phone:(

Mar 19, 2015 1:07 AM in response to MacCrazyMan1985

I am having this issue as well still with iOS 8.2. I have followed the instructions in support article How to use Alex with VoiceOver and Text to Speech on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. But no luck. I get the Alex voice to work in Messages but unable to in any other App. Alex seems to work fine with Voice Over, but with "Speak Screen and Speak Selection" it always seems to default back to the English UK version.

Alex not working under iOS 8.0.2 iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.