Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing requires a Credit Card

I have been using a visa debit card with out problems with iCloud, MobileMe and .Mac for 10 years. But now a credit card is mandatory to "prove that I'm an adult" for family sharing, is there any way around this. I don't have or want a credit card. Apple knows I'm an adult surely there must be another way with out the need to to get a credit card.... NOT HAPPY APPLE

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:56 PM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2014 2:34 PM in response to Adam Fardell

Hi Adam,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear on the exact nature of the issue you are describing. A credit card is only required during the setup of a child Apple ID in Family Sharing, in order to comply with child online privacy protection laws, and only during the initial creation:

Before you begin, make sure that you're using a credit card as your iTunes Store and App Store payment method. To comply with child online privacy protection laws, you will use the CVV or security code from a valid credit card as part of providing your parental consent. If the card on file is a debit card or another payment method, you’ll be asked to provide a credit card before you can continue. After you create the child's Apple ID, you can change your payment method back to a debit card.

Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids

Regards,

- Brenden

Family Sharing requires a Credit Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.