Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't update iPhoto after installing yosemite

i can't update or open iPhoto after installing yosemite

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:25 PM

6 replies

Oct 25, 2014 9:49 AM in response to ManilaDave

I have the same problem. I did the Yosemite upgrade and then had to update iPhoto after getting the message that the iPhoto library needs to be updated to work with this version of iPhoto. When I start the update it goes on until the progress bar shows barely a few millimeters until completion. Then it just stays there and never finishes the update. I cannot access my library and I don't know what to do. I've looked at other posts that have suggested opening iPhoto from the Finder instead of the Dock or even moving iPhoto to the trash and re-installing it. I've tried both and the library update never completes. I even left it running for an entire day hoping it may finish. Something is wrong and I'm about ready to take my desktop into a store and let them figure it out.

I'll appreciate any other advice.

Jan 13, 2015 11:37 PM in response to jpcrown21

Ok so here's what you gonna do. (had this problem myself today, and after some fiddling figured out what to do.)

Find your old iPhoto with a cross through it, right-click it and select 'show package contents'. A folder will open. In that folder go to Contents>MacOS and there will be three little things there. Click on the one called 'iPhoto' and terminal will open. Leave terminal open and wait four seconds and VOILA! iPhoto opens. Leave terminal open until you are finished with iPhoto, because if you close terminal, iPhoto will close with it. 🙂 THX! ENJOY! Hope it works.

P.S.

You can close terminal once you close iPhoto. I also suggest backing up your iPhoto library while you can.

i can't update iPhoto after installing yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.