Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new MacBookPro will not boot after an upgrade to Yosemite

I upgraded my brand-new (month old) MacBook Pro to Yosemite tonight, giving it plenty of time to reboot itself -- twice -- finally putting up the login screen.

After logging in, I noticed that the WiFI was off, and even worse, it would not turn on, so I rebooted it again.

After rebooting, it went through another long boot, with a thin slider showing progress, and then it showed the login screen.

I logged in, and then was able to manually enable the WiFi.

However, the system fan was spinning quite loudly. I checked for any 100% or more processes, but the system was actually quite un-busy. There was no reason for the fan to be spinning full speed. The office temperature is a very mild 71 degrees.

So, I did a Shutdown from the Apple menu and left for dinner.

A couple of hours later, came back to boot it, hit the power button, and .. no response. The MBP was plugged in with power, so it should not be out of battery. I tried holding down the power button for 10s and then 20s of seconds: no joy.

Does anyone know of a way to power up the system? I tried CMD-OPT P R with power button, 10s and 20s, but still no joy. The system appears to be completely, utterly dead.

At this point, it's looking like a "bricked" MBP, and I'll have to take it to the Apple store.

Very disappointed in this OS upgrade experience, and Apple's apparent decline in quality control since Steve has passed on. I guess no one is holding production's virtual toes to the fire anymore, eh?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.0.2, Purchased Oct 2nd or 3rd 2014

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 10:37 PM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2014 2:39 PM in response to aks_sba

Hey aks_sba,

Thanks for the question. There are a few more troubleshooting steps you can attempt before visiting an Apple Store, including resetting the SMC:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

• Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Additional information:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367

Thanks,

Matt M.

My new MacBookPro will not boot after an upgrade to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.