Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro freeze after login (Yosemite)

I installed Yosemite on my MB Pro 2013. Installation went fine and needed to restart. Since then MBP freezes after login screen with progressbar stuck at half.I don't hear much noise so doubt any pending activity is going. Left for few hours just in case couple of times but no luck.

I tried few things which did not help.

1. PRAM reset

2. Disk repar using Command+R during boot up

I have seen discussions about issues during Yosemite installation but this is after installation and first reboot. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 11:45 PM

102 replies

Oct 21, 2014 11:32 AM in response to ksangani

Rebooting 5 times fixes this pretty consistently for me. Completely awful experience. I typically get this when I do the following

1) Suspend laptop by closing lid

2) Lift laptop lid and notice black screen (does not resume)

3) Reboot and login screen appears

4) Login

5) Witness progress bar stuck at 50% after login

6) Repeat steps 3-5 another 4 times

7) Laptop punches through to desktop

What is going on with s/w quality at Apple.

Oct 21, 2014 12:35 PM in response to vnav

Same problem here...

Last week I got a shiny new MacBook Pro with Mavericks on it. Upgraded to Yosemite this weekend. This afternoon, I closed it and went home.

At home, opened it again. Within minutes, it froze on me and a reboot got me stuck in the login process too.

I tried several things, from holding shift at boot (which didn't do a thing) to cmd+option+R+P and trying to change some gpuswitch settings. Then after a handful of reboots, it seemed to realize the loop and decided to boot in Safe Mode, after which I was able to login normally. With some screen flickering that is.

I'm not sure, but it could have something to do with closing the Macbook while an external screen is attached and then disconnecting it.

Oct 22, 2014 7:41 AM in response to ksangani

I'm having the exact same problem! After installing Yosemite I started up my MacBook pro and logged into my user account, it started loading but when the progress bar reached a little less then halfway it froze. I let it go for 24 hrs and it was still stuck there. I tried rebooting, restarting several times and still ended up with the same results it only lets me reach the desktop in safe mode (which I am in now). Please Some one at Macintosh/Apple look into fixing this! My mac has been more then great until loading Yosemite. I would like to continue to support mac but unless this issue is resolved I will end up having to go back to Windows/PC... I am new to owning a mac and would like to continue, but with Yosemite... Come on... they should and could do better.

Oct 22, 2014 8:23 AM in response to xXHelpMePleaseXx

I had that issue yesterday as described - after selecting the user and password identification the system freezes at approximately 50% statusbar progress. I can not confirm any correlation to the laptop lid.

I think FileVault has something to do with the symptoms - the issue raised half a day after turning FileVault on and it disappears directly after I switched it off when I managed to get back into the system. I tried them all (endless reboots, PRAM reset, disc repair, etc.), after SMC reset (Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)) I was able to access one of my three accounts on that machine and turned FileVault off and immediately after that I was able to access the other accounts.

There are other forums that report similar observations. Maybe some of you can confirm that they have this issue with a running FileVault.

Kind regards,

-C

Oct 23, 2014 10:31 AM in response to ksangani

Found my issue. Unsigned kernel extension from Logitech. Once I moved it out of the way, I could reboot w/o any problems.

1) I found the issue by firstly pulling hte list of kernel extensions

$ system_profiler SPExtensionsDataType

2) Then I searched for anything which was unsigned i.e. where "Obtained from:" string was not Apple or Identified Developer

3) The only one was this:

LogitechUnifying:

Version: 1.3.0

Last Modified: 11/12/13, 5:13 PM

Bundle ID: com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver

Loaded: No

Get Info String: Logitech Unifying 1.3.0 (60)

© 2009-2011, Logitech, Inc.

All rights reserved.

Obtained from: Not Signed

Kind: Intel

Architectures: i386, x86_64

64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Kext Version: 1.3.0

Loadable: No

Signature Validation Errors: Not Signed

Dependencies: Satisfied

Signed by: Not Signed

4) I moved the file out of the way

$ sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/LogitechUnifying.kext /Users/Shared/LogitechUnifying.kext

Oct 27, 2014 7:19 AM in response to ksangani

I had the same issue as all of you guys. Here is what really worked for me and though of sharing with you 😉

Just as you could before, you can boot into Yosemite’s Recovery partition by holding down Command-R at startup, and in the OS X Utilities window that eventually appears, click Reinstall OS X, and then click Continue. This launches the OS X installer, which will download a fresh copy of Yosemite and install it on your startup volume.

Alternatively, if you no longer have the original Yosemite installer that you downloaded from the Mac App Store, you can get another copy by selecting App Store from the Apple menu, clicking on the Purchases link, and clicking Download next to the OS X Yosemite entry.

If the word Download doesn’t appear next to the installer, it means that the App Store believes you have a working copy of the installer already on your Mac. You should locate that copy and if you don’t want to use it—because it’s now a couple of point-releases old, for example—either compress it or remove it from your drive. Once you do, you should be able to download a fresh copy from the Purchases page.

The reinstallation might take up to 8 hours. After the reinstalling the OS I have no issues anymore !!! Hope this will work for you too !

All the best !

Nov 6, 2014 9:43 AM in response to ksangani

Hi. I sent this email earlier in the morning.

I've got an early 2011 15" MBP with an encrypted and up-to-date Yosemite. Today, while running Pixelmator that the OS days ago automatically updated (I reckon to the 3.2.1), with a 29KB png file open, I experienced serious graphic artifacts that made the OS not responding. The desktop was translated to the left for say 5 cm, with the left edge appearing on the right side of the screen, separated from the right edge by a vertical black stripe. A similar screen you can notice while swiping from a desktop to another one or between full screen apps. Besides some horizontal lines appeared.

This not responding situation led me to force the shutdown by holding down the power button. At the restart now, after inputting the admin password, after displaying the progress bar, the OS does not load the graphic interface. The same with other users or even with the recovery partition.

I guess it may be something related to the brutal shutdown, however I can't use my MacBook Pro without having done anything but opening a small image with Pixelmator. For this reason I can't even attach a screenshot because it is stored in the Mac.

Nov 6, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Streeme

I had a similar experience where I can't even boot now. I have reloaded Yosemite 7 times, with the final time it actually worked for 5 boot cycles until I opened photoshop.

I have a late 2010 MBP. I have added curcial memory and 2 SDD drives. I have read that Yosemite now does a memory check for OEM memory which could be causing the error. Unfortunately I cannot find my original 4GB memory to test out that theory. I have am also running file vault on the secondary SDD, which I can't access and since it is encrypted.

My MBP is unusable at this point with no ability to recover since I did not have a backup with time machine. I really wish Apple will fix this for the older machines may have had tweaks done. I have never had an issue with upgrades in the past.

Macbook Pro freeze after login (Yosemite)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.