Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All photos gone with upgrade to iPhoto 9.6 ???

Hi!

I updated my Mac to OS X 10.10. Since opening iPhoto required an update to iPhoto 9.6, I made this upgrade as well.

When starting the new iPhoto, I accepted to upgrade the library to the new format. There a mistake was found and a repair was necessary. When the repair was done, all photos were gone. Still the library file had a size of 500 GB, what gave me comfort to see, that the photos must still be there.

Then I opened iPhoto in the repair mode and prompted the repair myself. After a little while it asked whether all found 212,000 photos shall be imported into iPhoto and I accepted. Then it stopped saying that the disk space will not be sufficient and I cancelled the process.

Now looking at the iPhoto library, its size is only 2.69 GB and there are no photos in the masters folder.

There is a new folder "iPhoto Recovered Photos" which includes 121,000 photos (243 GB) - without folder hierarchy, all in this one folder.

It has to be noted, that iPhoto regularly complained about inconsistencies before, which have been repaired.

Unfortunately, we made no backup of our photos ...

Current storage: 466GB free out of 999 GB, 128 GB photos

What can I do to get my photos back?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 4:06 AM

71 replies

Oct 19, 2014 4:22 AM in response to Juba2014

That is the second case I am seeing here, that the iPhoto upgrade lost the connection between original files and edited versions. Which iPhoto version did you upgrade from?

Unfortunately, we made no backup of our photos ...

Is your iPhoto library included in the backup you make of your Mac, perhaps a Time Machine backup? Then you could try to restore the iPhoto Library from Time Machine.

If that is not possible, use the folder with the recovered items. It will contain all original photos found in the IPhoto Library You can break it down into events by date from the "Events" menu: Select the recovered event and use the command "Event > Autosplit selected events".

Oct 19, 2014 4:27 AM in response to Juba2014

1. Make a back up. Make a back up. Make a back up.

Using a computer without a back up is like driving without a seatbelt. You can drive for years with no problem, but the day you do have a problem the mess will be a lot bigger. Upgrading anything OS, Apps, whatever without first making a back up is drunk driving with a blindfold on and no seatbelt.

2. I'm not sure what you've got right now. Is the 500 GB library still intact? If not, then really you're next job is to start over from scratch. Make a new Library and start importing all those photos again.

3. If you do still have that 500 gb library intact, then try Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

It has to be noted, that iPhoto regularly complained about inconsistencies before, which have been repaired.

If that happens once then it's not a problem, but when you get a message like that "regularly" then there is an underlying damage that's not being fixed.

Oct 19, 2014 5:45 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your swift support!!

"If that is not possible, use the folder with the recovered items. It will contain all original photos found in the IPhoto Library You can break it down into events by date from the "Events" menu: Select the recovered event and use the command "Event > Autosplit selected events"."

In this folder "iPhoto recovered photos", there are roughly 121,000 files but thereof 45,000 are thumbnails and every second file has the suffix "face" which shows only the marked face. So these are definitely not all original photos found in the iPhoto Library.

I know that a backup would not have brought me in that mess!

Still, is there a way to recover my photos? Maybe with some recovery software?

Oct 19, 2014 5:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence!

Your comparison with driving a car is really appropriate ... I could cry.

"I'm not sure what you've got right now. Is the 500 GB library still intact? If not, then really you're next job is to start over from scratch. Make a new Library and start importing all those photos again."

The 500 gb library is gone, the current one has just 2.7 GB. So start over again ... but from where should I import the photos again? I cannot find them anywhere!?!?

Oct 19, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Juba2014

In this folder "iPhoto recovered photos", there are roughly 121,000 files but thereof 45,000 are thumbnails and every second file has the suffix "face" which shows only the marked face. So these are definitely not all original photos found in the iPhoto Library.

Recovery software will only create a large folder with all photos, and probably not even be able to retrieve the file names or dates. You are much better of the Masters folder in your iPhoto library, if it still holds all original photos.

The 500 gb library is gone, the current one has just 2.7 GB.

Is 2.7GB what you are seeing in iPhoto or in the Finder, when you look at the file size of the library?

Oct 19, 2014 11:22 PM in response to Juba2014

I am in a similar state, only just half-way gone. I just upgraded to iPhoto 9.6 from the immediately previous version (9.5). ALL of my albums are gone and nothing is shown in the new library. I can still see my photos in the iPhoto Library in what is now a file structure even more full of older version artifacts:

Old Masters

1997/

1998/

1999/

2000/

2001/

2002/

2003/

2004/

2005/

2006/

Attachments

Auto Import

Backup/

Contents/

iLifeShared/

Info.plist

iPhotoAux.db.bak

iPhotoLock.data

iPhotoMain.db.bak

iPod Photo Cache/

Library.cache

Library.data

Library.iPhoto

Library6.iPhoto

Old Previews/

Old Thumbnails/

ProjectCache/

ProjectDBVersion.plist

Projects.db

Recovered Photos/

SlideshowAssets/

ThemeCache

AlbumData.xml

Data/

Data.noindex/

Database/

iPhotoAux.db

iPhotoMain.db

Masters/

Modified/

Originals/

Previews/

Thumbnails/

Insanity. I am going no further, in case all my photos are then erased.

It may be time to abandon iPhoto, which was becoming very slow with my 22,000 photos and increasingly hard to work with. Just try to edit the locations of photos on the little map! A truly insane effort. Faces was fun but really not necessary and ate lots of CPU time.

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011), Yosemite 10.10, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Oct 20, 2014 12:22 AM in response to Chatterbox Films

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Oct 25, 2014 9:33 PM in response to Juba2014

I am frustrated with iPhoto 9.6 as well. I too was forced to upgrade to 9.6 because I upgraded my iMac to Yosemite. Everything seemed ok at first but then my Mac's power crash problem resurfaced (didn't happen in Maverick but was frequent in Mountain Lion) and it happened when I was using iPhoto (seems like it caused the mac to run very hot). Every time it crashed, the iPhoto library would be completely messed up. The repair option it offered when application was relaunched did not help. It would just say library was used by another application. The only way to reopen the library is to rebuild it. Click the iPhoto icon while holding the command and option button at the same time. That pops up the repair/rebuild screen. Select rebuild database option. That at least seems to allow me to see all my photos. I don't know if the multiple rebuilds has somehow messed up something else or there is another bug. Many of the thumbnails in a lot of my albums are messed up. Most of the pictures in portrait mode now show the thumbnail images stretched in landscape form. You have to double click to enlarge and then manually rotate back to portrait. After returning to thumbnail view the picture would sometimes restore back to normal. I am in the process of exporting all my 11K photos to separate folders (corresponding to my album names) on a backup drive. The exported photos seem to be undamaged. I don't want to risk losing everything when all 11k photos are stored in this one big 55GB iPhoto library file.

Oct 26, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Yer_Man

This is a 6.5 years old iMac that is under power and under memory. I probably will replace it soon. I have everything backup in Time Machine. If iPhoto library is a special kind of folder and I can't access it other than from iPhoto then the risk is the same. I can't access the photos if the library is not corrupted beyond repair. If there other ways to access the individual photos without iPhoto? I remember years ago, they kept photo files in different folders. Some time ago (don't recall which version) turn this library into one gigantic file (special folder). Now iPhoto seems to have lost all photo orientations. All portrait photos are messed up even in enlarged mode. The exported file opened in Preview is fine but I have to reorient the photo back to portrait. It seems to be happening to all photos that were converted from the old version library. All new photos imported directly into the new 9.6 version seem fine. I may just reimport the rest of 11K pics once I have a new machine. I don't look forward to reorienting however many portrait photos I have in my collection. That is my frustration.

Oct 26, 2014 12:08 PM in response to IL mac

If iPhoto library is a special kind of folder and I can't access it other than from iPhoto then the risk is the same.

But you can access it from the Finder just remember that it's not supported and you risk damaging the Library.

Your Library is made up of a number of elements: the actual photos and the database that tracks them are the principal elements. If the database is damaged it does not mean that the photos are - but the iPhoto window will be empty, or all the other issues that you are describing. The question you need to ask is why this keeps happening to you and not other folks?

To look inside the Library: same as every other package on your Mac: Right click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'.

All photos gone with upgrade to iPhoto 9.6 ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.