Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS X Yosemite has changed my Macintosh HD type to Logical Volume Group

I have just installed OS X 10.10 Yosemite on my late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display,

The installation has worked perfectly and my computer is now running fine. However after opening disk utility I have noticed where previously my HD would be named "Apple SSD...." and the partition underneath would be named Macintosh HD, both are now the same. Also, previously the HD was GUID type and now they have changed to Logical Volume Group and Logical Partition.

I installed the software by creating a bootable memory stick with OS X 10.10 and completed a clean install by completely erasing the HD and then installing the new software. After the HD had been erased, Disk Utility still showed the HD as "Apple SSD...." with the partition "Macintosh HD" below and with Type: GUID. It wasn't until after the installation was complete and I had set up the computer and then gone back into Disk Utility when I released it had changed to both labels being "Macintosh HD" and the format type being Logical Volume Group and Logical Partition.

I have no clue if this is normal and was a planned changed (i.e the software was designed to change it) or if my installation has gone horribly wrong. Can the HD format type be changed back or does Yosemite have to run on Logical Partition and Logical Volume Group formatted HD's.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not an expert and I have tried googling for hours and can't find anything helpful/useful or that will work.

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 4:46 AM

It's a designed change during the Yosemite install process. John Siracusa's excellent review of Yosemite over at Ars Technica provides some commentary on the change, specifically this page: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/2/

1 reply

Installing OS X Yosemite has changed my Macintosh HD type to Logical Volume Group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.