Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer on 224.0.0.251 trying to access /usr/libexec/discoveryd

Ever since upgrading to Yosemite, my Norton firewall tells me that a computer with this IP is trying to run discoveryd on UDP port 5353 (bonjour). Is this something that Yosemite needs that I need to unblock?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 6:15 AM

10 replies

Oct 19, 2014 4:12 PM in response to gordonfromtheDistrict

On one machine I upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 I found that the Mac firewall was blocking discoveryd and this apparently prevented my Bonjour attached printers from working. I did a whole lot of messing around, but it seems that enabling it in the firewall allowed me to bring them back. On another machine I similarly upgraded this didn't happen - discoveryd is not listed as a service to block/allow in the firewall.

(Of course, sometimes we go down a rathole and come to the wrong conclusion, so treat this as a possible solution to printer problems.)

I found something else on the web indicating that discoveryd had replaced mDNSResponder; apparently it is necessary. Not sure about your case; you will probably want to find the machine w/ addr 224.0.0.251.

Oct 27, 2014 8:55 PM in response to gordonfromtheDistrict

From Wikipedia…

Local subnetwork

Addresses in the range of 224.0.0.0 to 224.0.0.255 are individually assigned by IANA and designated for multicasting on the local subnetwork only. For example, the Routing Information Protocol (RIPv2) uses 224.0.0.9, Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) uses 224.0.0.5 and 224.0.0.6, and Zeroconf mDNS uses 224.0.0.251. Routers must not forward these messages outside the subnet in which they originate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_address

In short 224.0.0.251 is something on your local network attempting to 'discover' the locally available services via mDNS. If you use Norton or any other firewall to block it the services on that machine won't be discovered & you will need to manually configure them, then you will also need to ensure the ports in question are not blocked for the specific services.

Mar 25, 2015 6:52 PM in response to gordonfromtheDistrict

Took me a while to add the discoveryd exception to the firewall SO here are the exact steps to add discoveryd to your firewall on a mac pro 10.10.2 yosemite:

• Finder > Go > Go to Folder > /usr/libexec/ > move libexec to your favorites
  • Apple > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Unlock > Admin user/password
  • Firewall Options > + > navigate to libexec by clicking on your libexec shortcut > select discoverd > add
  • Make sure discoverd is set for allow incoming connections > OK
  • Lock firewall > close system preferences
  • remove libexec short cut from finder

Mar 25, 2015 7:55 PM in response to imrantech

This makes no sense. discoveryd should already be OK for whatever it needs to from the OS X Firewall.

The only things that might have issues with it are 3rd party Firewalls like Norton, which are being stupid. Yes, stupid, as it's just WRONG behavior. One of the main reasons 3rd party AV and Firewall products are not recommended; they cause more problems than they solve. There is NO NEED for a third party firewall on OS X.

Computer on 224.0.0.251 trying to access /usr/libexec/discoveryd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.