Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone, will my private pictures get out?

My phone was stolen last night. It has a passcode on it and I'm trying to use FindMyiPhone on iCloud to locate it. However if I fail and the is able to unlock my phone will my pictures and other media be there? How will they unlock the iPhone. the only way I know of is restoring. Does restoring on a new computer not previously sync'd delete media. I am Really worried about my private photos and videos. oh and i dont want to erase it on FindMyiPhone because then i wont be able to track it.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply
9 replies

Oct 19, 2014 7:23 AM in response to NangyEP

In theory it can probably be jailbroken and raided if somebody really wanted to go to a log of effort. Newer phones are encrypted so they have to be unlocked before they are accessible.

iOS: Understanding data protection

I would not consider it a huge worry. Most thieves prefer to wipe the phone and resell it rather than try to get to data on the phone and really with the Find My iPhone system on the phone will become unusable at that point.

Oct 19, 2014 7:57 AM in response to Templeton Peck

I would say the feature is there for those that think they need it. There is no statistics on how many stolen phones have had data compromised. I don't think I've seen an article saying it will happen. If the hardware is more valuable don't. If the data is more valuable to. I have a lot of faith in Apple devices but I know the newest ones are much better at protecting data then older versions.

Oct 19, 2014 8:17 AM in response to NangyEP

Personally I would put the phone in Lost Mode so it can alert you where it is. When a phone is in lost mode it cannot be reactivated except by you.

iCloud: Use Lost Mode

However, if you are truly concerned then erase the phone. Nobody can stop a determined thief.

For me while personal data can be embarrassing it would not be life altering.

Stolen iPhone, will my private pictures get out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.