Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail SMTP (outgoing) does not work after Yosemite upgrade

I have just updated Yosemite on my Mac and MacBook Air and the outgoing mails cannot be sent - the SMTP-connection fails.

It worked fully Ok few seconds before the upgrade was started.

So, I wonder if anyone or Apple can help on getting the Outgoing mails to work again.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 9:51 AM

Hi there,

I had a similar issue as well, although with only one of my Mail accounts (Comcast); The SMTP was listed as (offline).

Try going to Mail -> Preferences -> Highlight the account with the issue and under the "Account Information" tab you should see "Outgoing mail server (STMP)" In that drop down there is an option to "edit STMP server list".

Once in the edit list, Copy down all the settings for the server the account should be using from both the "account information" and "advanced" tabs, then delete the listing using the "-" button and then using the "+" add the server again with all the information you copied down.

This worked for me without having to delete and re-setup the entire account, and I hope it helps.

233 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2014 9:51 AM in response to flemminggitte

Hi there,

I had a similar issue as well, although with only one of my Mail accounts (Comcast); The SMTP was listed as (offline).

Try going to Mail -> Preferences -> Highlight the account with the issue and under the "Account Information" tab you should see "Outgoing mail server (STMP)" In that drop down there is an option to "edit STMP server list".

Once in the edit list, Copy down all the settings for the server the account should be using from both the "account information" and "advanced" tabs, then delete the listing using the "-" button and then using the "+" add the server again with all the information you copied down.

This worked for me without having to delete and re-setup the entire account, and I hope it helps.

Oct 19, 2014 1:16 PM in response to Coobik

There are several of us on Yosemite that are having trouble with IMAP mail. Was working pre upgrade, now broken (constantly saying password is incorrect) after upgrade.

iPhone and iPad using the SAME settings still work so it's not the ISP or the settings (including username and password) but Yosemite. Mail / Outlook and Thunderbird all have the same problem.

SMTP works its just IMAP thats screwy.

Oct 19, 2014 1:38 PM in response to RupertHawkes

For those of you having email password issues, I'd suggest:

1) Close your mail client (i.e. Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc).

2) Launch "Applications" > "Utilities" > "Keychain Access.app"

3) Select "login" from the sidebar top left area, then select "Passwords" in lower left area

4) Click into the Search box in the upper right and search for your ISPs server names. For example, type "aol" or "google" or "comcast", etc.

5) Look through the search results for password entries related to your SMTP (outgoing) or IMAP/POP (incoming) mail servers. Select them and delete them.

6) Open your email client and try to receive mail, and then to send mail. You should be prompted to enter your mail username and/or password.

Hopefully this might fix issues for those of you using mail clients that use Keychain for credential storage.

Oct 19, 2014 2:29 PM in response to RupertHawkes

It is possible that KeyChain was corrupted during the upgrade. There is a utility that can hep with that or at least verify that Keychain is not the issue.

In the Utilities folder go to Keychain Access and launch it. Under the KeyChain Access menu is a section called KeyChain First Aid. Once you click that, d dialog box opens allowing you to verify the Keychain.

CAVEAT. i haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet so this is how it works in Mavericks.

Jay

Mail SMTP (outgoing) does not work after Yosemite upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.