Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud drive sync

Hi

I updated my iOS devices to iCloud drive prior to yosemite. Now I've updated to yosemite on my mac, I have put a lot of data on there. Unfortunately, this is not being shown on my iPad and phone. They still have the pre yosemite data!!!

I was under the impression that yosemite would facilitate the syncing of files, etc, across all platforms. I need my docs on all devices.

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 9:36 AM

22 replies

Oct 19, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Csound1

On my mac I see the proper apps and when I click iCloud drive i see all proper files.

On my iPad, even though i'm connected to iCloud, when I type in that address I'm taken to the set up page to instal icloud which, in turn takes me to the apple iCloud info page! Strange behaviour indeed!

I'd really appreciate your advice but I won't be able to respond immediately as I have to rush out now!

Thanks

Oct 20, 2014 6:55 AM in response to jakub123

Ok, what did you do to get everything to sync? I have a iPhone 5C, iPad with Retina, and MacBook Air. I can't get anything to sync properly. I thought this was supposed to just work but it does not. At least for me. I've logged out of iCloud and disabled it and turned it all back on with no luck. I'm also having issues with PDF Expert on my iPhone. This is driving me crazy. I guess I'll put my trust in Dropbox, because iCloud Drive is nothing like Dropbox or even Google Drive. Very disappointed.

Oct 22, 2014 7:12 PM in response to Csound1

"iCloud Drive does not sync. It's an online drive folder that everything gets the files and data from. So they all read the same thing."

That's incorrect. Of course it's supposed to sync. iCloud Drive creates a local folder on your Mac running Yosemite. Any time you make a change to a file in the cloud it has to reflect that change in your local folder. Likewise any time you add, delete, or modify a file in your local iCloud folder it's supposed to upload those changes to the cloud and from there back out to all your other devices.

Sync is not only part of iCloud - it's absolutely essential or the entire thing is useless.

Oct 23, 2014 4:44 AM in response to freediverx01

The local copy is a cached version of the original, it exists so that you may access it when an internet connection is not provided. iCloud is a Dav system (look it up) it does not sync in the conventional sense. It provides simultaneous access to a single source for multiple clients (Macs, IOS etc) to save to and read from the same database. Hence they all have the same data and are 'in sync'

A conventional sync system compares multiple sources and equalises the differences between them, when it works correctly (quite rare, conflicts are common) it will give the same end result as a Dav system, but by a very different route.

Trying to troubleshoot a sync system that is not a sync system (in the conventional sense) leads to failure.

iCloud drive sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.