Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rip a CD song directly to a playlist in iTunes 12?

In the old iTunes, I could drag my CD or songs from my CD directly into a playlist that was in the sidebar. Now it appears that the "sidebar" function is gone. I can have iTunes show me a list of playlists on the side but it doesn't show my inserted CD. If I go to look at the CD the playlists disappear -- I can go to the CD but in only gives me the option to rip the CD directly into the library.

Am I missing something? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 11:04 AM

9 replies

Oct 21, 2014 11:21 AM in response to mguzzox

I agree--this is a major mistake on Apple's part. I also have a huge CD library and until this new version you could insert the CD and then just drag the tracks to a playlist and they would import directly to that playlist. Now you have to put the tracks in the library first, then find the tracks and click on the Add To button and drag them to the playlist that way. It adds about five extra steps to what used to be a simple process.

Also, I've noticed that you can no longer use Home Sharing to get music from another computer's iTunes library and drag it easily to the one you're working with. You have to first import it into the other library and then, again, find it and add it to the playlist. What do they say about if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Oct 21, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Steven Blunk

Thanks for that tip. I see that that does work, but it goes to the top of the alphabet and then you have to scroll down to find the playlist you want. If you have several hundred of them like I do, it's kind of difficult. I tried it once and gave up. But I guess if you don't have a lot of playlists you could do that.

I've also noticed that rips are taking a really long time in my iMac but not in my Macbook pro. Anyone else having that issue?

Dec 18, 2014 1:54 PM in response to mguzzox

I too had the same problem but I called Apple support and this is what they told that does work. Open up iTunes and click on the musical note icon then click on playlists. Next open up a finder window (on your Mac) and click on the cd. You should see all of our items listed in the finder window. Highlight all or only the ones you want and then drag them directly onto the playlist you want in iTunes. More steps then in the older version of iTunes but at least you can get them into the playlist you want.

Dec 19, 2014 10:47 AM in response to jvartinen

Yes but the problem is that I used to edit them when I had them in the CD on screen. For example, you may not want them all in the same play list. So i´d change genre names, rating etc. Then I would import and it all goes straight into the smart playlists automatically. Now you have to drag... and then you have to manually find each song to edit and organise which takes 10 times longer! So annoying... I´ve been using iTunes since 2001 and it just seems to be getting more and more complicated.

Aug 5, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Steven Blunk

Having spent a long time trying to add one track of a CD rather than importing the whole CD, and proving unsuccessful, this suggestion seemed too simple. However, I thought it worth trying so I highlighted the track, left clicked and dragged it to the left and the sidebar immediately appeared. I scrolled down the playlists and, hey presto, the track was added on. Thank you Steven Blunk.

How do I rip a CD song directly to a playlist in iTunes 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.