Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook pro turns on the grey screen with the logo comes up, a loading bar shows up, after 5 minutes it loads all and the bar disappears and after ten seconds the screen goes black and the laptop off! Help

5 Days ago, I turned my laptop off, happily. And today I turned it on, the grey screen came up, the logo and then down this loading bar appeared and started to load something, and then it got complete the the loading bar disappeared and after ten seconds the laptop went off it self. Please help

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 10:21 AM

See Gray, Blue or White screen at boot, w/spinner/progress bar

13 replies

Oct 19, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Adam tribe

The first link refers to "delays." That sounds like your issue. Does your computer start up this way all the time? If it does then you may have something you are loading at startup that is not compatible. Try removing all Login Items. Also, check Startup Items folders in both the /Library/ folder and the /Home/Library/ folder. Remove anything you find. If that isn't helpful, then create a new admin user account. Disable auto-login if it is enabled. Restart the computer and log into this account. What happens?

Oct 19, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Adam tribe

My suggestion is this:

If you have a computer in this list or from a more recent date: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery.

Install Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion. Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer. Now do the Yosemite upgrade.

Dec 27, 2014 5:55 PM in response to Adam tribe

Thanks so muck Kappy that worked! 🙂

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion. Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Jan 4, 2015 3:17 AM in response to Kappy

Hi,

I'm having the same issue and I tried to go through your instructions, however when I do, after clicking on the 'Partition' button at the end of the process, it says "Partition failed with the error: Couldn't unmount disk."

What do I do? I don't have the option to do it with any other drives on the left hand screen.

Please help!

My MacBook pro turns on the grey screen with the logo comes up, a loading bar shows up, after 5 minutes it loads all and the bar disappears and after ten seconds the screen goes black and the laptop off! Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.