Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I change the login background image in yosemite?

At the login screen in Yosemite, the background is my desktop image, but very blurred. How do I remove the image or at least change it?

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 11:35 AM

6 replies

Oct 20, 2014 5:49 PM in response to klast57

I believe I have successfully proven that the login background choice Yosemite makes is BROKEN!

In my case it defaulted to the desktop image of a test account I use about 1/10 the time I use my primary account.

In addition I found after DELETING that account, Yosemite is keeping the now non existent account's desktop picture as the login background...

This is inspire of the fact that both the user and the user folder tied to it no longer exist...

Apple either needs to change the way this image is assigned, because the current method is open to too many problems...

Oct 20, 2014 11:04 PM in response to klast57

I stumbled across the answer, and yes, you CAN change it!

After setting a desktop a file gets created under the following path:

/Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

This is a blurred copy of your desktop, and it's what is used as the login background.

If you replace this with a different image, it will use that in it's place. I would recommend getting info on the replacement & checking locked, this should prevent Mac OS X from changing back again...

how do I change the login background image in yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.