Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

caldavd failing to start after upgrade to Server 3.2.1

This problem, caldavd not starting after upgrading to Server 3.2.1, is a variation on the theme of PostgresQL not starting. It too boils down to a postgres database not having been updated properly. Below are the steps needed to fix this problem:

sudo su -

# Change to the directory with the postgres database for the calendars and contacts

cd /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg

# Disable caldavd for now

launchctl unload -w /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.c alendarserver.calendarserver.plist

# move the broken database out of the way and build a new empty one

mv cluster.pg broken-cluster.pg

mkdir cluster.pg && chmod 700 cluster.pg && chown _calendar:_calendar cluster.pg

sudo -u _calendar /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/initdb "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg" -E utf8 --lc-ctype=C

# Finish the upgrade job that never completed by explicitly invoking the previous version of postgres:

sudo -u _calendar /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/pg_upgrade -b /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2 -B /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin -d /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/ -D /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg

# Mark the newly upgraded database as no longer in need of an upgrade

sudo -u _calendar touch cluster.pg/.NoRestoreNeeded

# Start caldavd back up

launchctl load -w /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.c alendarserver.calendarserver.plist

And everything should be the way it should have been in the first place!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 16GB Ram; 500GB HD

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 11:43 AM

9 replies

Oct 23, 2014 10:25 AM in response to pwinkeler

You nailed it. The failed upgrade had resulted in all the contacts disappearing from the carddav service on Mavericks after I upgraded to Server 3.2.2 (I had skipped 3.2.1). The only adjustment I had to make to restore my database was:

1) Change the paths for the DB locations to point to the external volume where I keep my service data

2) add " --lc-collate=C" to the initdb line as I otherwise I got an error (lc_collate cluster values do not match: old "C", new "en_US.UTF-8") when I tried to do the pg_upgrade step.

This was an extremely helpful reply and you saved me from an otherwise difficult conversation ("What happened to all my contacts?").

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2015 12:43 AM in response to pwinkeler

Hi, I have the same issue and Linc Davis pointed me to this thread from Re: Server Calendar migration failed.

Your solution already got me somewhere, so thanks for that 🙂

I need to note that my machine is on Yosemite (10.10.1) and I'm running Server 4.

The only issue I have is that I get an error message when running pg_upgrade, the log says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
  pg_upgrade run on Fri Jan 23 09:31:30 2015

command: "/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/b$
waiting for server to start....LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2013-11-02 12:21:52 CET
LOG:  creating missing WAL directory "pg_xlog/archive_status"
LOG:  starting archive recovery
LOG:  restored log file "000000010000000000000002" from archive
LOG:  invalid magic number D075 in log file 0, segment 2, offset 0
LOG:  invalid checkpoint record
FATAL:  could not locate required checkpoint record
HINT:  If you are not restoring from a backup, try removing the file "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/broken-cluster.pg/backup_label".
LOG:  startup process (PID 12315) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
........................................................... stopped waiting
pg_ctl: could not start server
Examine the log output.

The log talks about removing the backup_label file. When I do that the log says the following:

pg_upgrade run on Fri Jan 23 09:41:34 2015

command: "/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/b$
waiting for server to start....LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2013-11-02 12:21:52 CET
LOG:  starting archive recovery
LOG:  invalid magic number D075 in log file 0, segment 2, offset 0
LOG:  invalid primary checkpoint record
LOG:  could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000001" (log file 0, segment 1): No such file or directory
LOG:  invalid secondary checkpoint record
PANIC:  could not locate a valid checkpoint record
FATAL:  the database system is starting up
.LOG:  startup process (PID 15068) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
 stopped waiting
Examine the log output.

Thanks already for the help 🙂

Jul 23, 2015 5:27 AM in response to pwinkeler

Having an 10.10.4 Calendar Server stuck in "Starting" I tried Your tip. All went well until the step "Finish the upgrade..."

sudo -u _calendar /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/pg_upgrade -b /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2 -B /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin -d /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/ -D /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg

check for "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade" failed: No such file or directory

Failure, exiting

The tip from daveyostecom didn't work.

All other services are functioning correctly, only Calendar and Contacts missing

XServe 2,26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20 GB Ram, Yosemite 10.10.4, Server 4.1.3

Aug 21, 2015 6:19 AM in response to pwinkeler

Hello there,

I have updated my 9.2.3 Server to 10.10.5 and run into the same problems likes discussed in that thread.

Using pwinkelers hint above leads to a problem with different SQL database versions that I can not solve.

Did anyone got a answer for that problem?

The log shows the problem of the different database structures.

Still there is a seems a second server running. How could PostgreSQL could be stopped?

-----

command: "/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/" -o "-p 50432 -c autovacuum=off -c autovacuum_freeze_max_age=2000000000 -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700" start >> "pg_upgrade_server.log" 2>&1

pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway

waiting for server to start....FATAL: database files are incompatible with server

DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.3, which is not compatible with this version 9.2.8.

Apr 22, 2016 2:45 PM in response to pwinkeler

I was excited to see this post as my contacts server has stopped working since I upgraded my server on Sunday to Server 3.2.2. I found this post after looking in the error log and seeing something about postgres not getting started. I'm definitely no expert, but I kind of understand what's happening in the suggested list of actions above, so I decided it couldn't hurt to try. To emphasize, it is CONTACTS that aren't working for me. Perhaps Calendars are in the same boat, but I don't use them so don't know.

I have already tried throwing the server app in the trash and restoring it - that did not fix anything and when doing the server setup it gave me the error message about configuration having failed.

I followed the steps through to "# Finish the upgrade job that never completed..." but when I ran the pg_upgrade command I got an error:

Database.xpg root# sudo -u _calendar /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/pg_upgrade -b /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2 -B /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin -d /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/ -D /Library/Server/Calendar\ and\ Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg

Performing Consistency Checks

-----------------------------

Checking cluster versions ok

*failure*

Consult the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" for

the probable cause of the failure.

connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/.s.PGSQL.50432"?

could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:

"/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/" -o "-p 50432 -b -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c unix_socket_directory='/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg'" start

Failure, exiting

Taking a look at the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" I saw this:

pg_upgrade run on Fri Apr 22 14:27:33 2016

command: "/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/" -o "-p 50432 -b -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c unix_socket_directory='/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg'" start >> "pg_upgrade_server.log" 2>&1

waiting for server to start....LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2013-11-26 15:11:55 PST

LOG: starting archive recovery

cp: ../backup/000000010000000000000002: No such file or directory

LOG: could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000002" (log file 0, segment 2): No such file or directory

LOG: invalid checkpoint record

FATAL: could not locate required checkpoint record

HINT: If you are not restoring from a backup, try removing the file "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/backup_label".

LOG: startup process (PID 37871) exited with exit code 1

LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

Examine the log output.

I renamed the file "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/backup_label" and tried running the pg_upgrade command again, but got the same error message. This time, the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" are:

pg_upgrade run on Fri Apr 22 14:14:06 2016

command: "/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/postgresql9.2/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg/cluster.pg.original_for_upgrade/" -o "-p 50432 -b -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c unix_socket_directory='/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg'" start >> "pg_upgrade_server.log" 2>&1

waiting for server to start....LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2013-11-26 15:11:55 PST

LOG: starting archive recovery

LOG: could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000002" (log file 0, segment 2): No such file or directory

LOG: invalid primary checkpoint record

LOG: invalid secondary checkpoint record

PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint record

LOG: startup process (PID 37753) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap

LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

Examine the log output.

Is there any easy solution for this? Am I doing the right steps for resolving the issue with cardav not working as opposed to caldav? We really need our contacts back!

What do I need to do to triage having run the first few commands and not being able to finish? My guess would be that I can just work backwards, but I don't want to make anything worse!

I will be so grateful for any help with this 🙂

Addendum:

Database.xpg root# ls backup

000000010000000000000002.00000028.backup 000000010000000000000005 00000001000000000000006D

000000010000000000000003 000000010000000000000006 base_backup

000000010000000000000004 00000001000000000000006B

000000010000000000000004.00000028.backup 00000001000000000000006C

caldavd failing to start after upgrade to Server 3.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.