Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not coming through since iOS 8

Since I downloaded IOS8 in my iPhone5 and iPad mini, the default carrier is the internet, using my phone provider only if wifi is not avaliable. So messages are appearing on my iPad (which is of no use whatsoever to me but doesnt actually matter) but arrival on my iPhone is haphazard. It looks as if, when then wifi is not available, they simply don't go through. Some do make it but it can't be relied on. when there is wifi, some go just to my ipad and nto my iPhone. Before IOS8, I didn't get message on my iPad and, as far as I am aware, all messages sent to and from my iPhone went as long as I had a phone signal.

I went on my phone settings to see if I could go back to the "old" way which worked but the only my option it gave me was to turn off messages altogether.

Suggestions very welcome. All I want is for all my inward and outward messages to go via phone signal not wifi.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 1:05 PM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2014 10:55 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks. I had already gone through the appropriate parts of this article. My problem is not actually any of these as far as I can see; all settings are correct, all contacts are unblocked. IOS and carrier software are up to date. My issue is demonstrated by messages today. My husband sent me three messages; the first and the third came through, the ssecond didn't. Neither of us changed location.

Oct 22, 2014 11:21 AM in response to katefromthatcham

Hello katefromthatcham,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Which parts of the article have you gone through? If these messages are iMessages, then you will need to follow the steps below, which ultimately end in resetting the device as new.

If you can't send and receive iMessages

You will need these to send and receive iMessages:

• An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  • iOS 5.0 or later
  • A cellular data connection or a Wi-Fi connection
  • A phone number or Apple ID registered with iMessage in Settings > Messages

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you still can't send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that the contact you're trying to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact in the Contacts app. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

Take care,

Alex H.

Messages not coming through since iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.