Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessibility zoom jerky in Yosemite

Under Accessibility in System Preferences, you can set up to zoom using your mouse's scroll wheel and the control key (default). This allow quick and smooth zooms in and out of your desktop to see smaller text or features. It worked seamlessly until I upgraded to Yosemite. Now the motion is jerky and a swipe takes seconds to complete the zoom. And moving the cursor is jerky when zoomed in, too. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Magic Mouse

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 12:34 PM

20 replies

Oct 21, 2014 9:58 AM in response to baspeters

You and me both. I have a large monitor about a meter away, and sometimes need to zoom in to read small typefaces or to examine photos more closely. It's gotten to be a habit to zoom in with a two-finger scrolling stroke, but now each time I do that, I have to say "Rats!" and hope that I can get the screen to (very slowly and step-by-painful-step "zoom" back to normal. It's more like Zzzz--------------oooooo----------------oo-------oo------oo--------------oooooo o-------------m back to normal. 🙂

Oct 21, 2014 2:04 PM in response to James Reid1

Exactly what I'm seeing, James. But we've seen nothing from Apple and no suggestions that anyone has found a workaround.

The odd part is that I run Parallels on my Mac (have to use Windows 7 for work) and the zoom feature works fine in the VM. I can't figure out how that is possible, but keep hoping if I could, that might point to a solution.

Given all the other problems I'm seeing with Yosemite (nothing is smooth any more, including videos, scrolling, sweeping across the Dock; high CPU temperatures), I sure hope Apple is reading these and comes out with an update soon.

Oct 26, 2014 5:06 PM in response to T.S. Kelso

I have found that this problem may be related to using an external display. I am running on a MacBook with a 27" Cinema Display. If I disconnect the Cinema Display, the zoom works normally. If I plug it back in, the problem returns.

I suspect the issue may be related to the new transparency features, but Apple (at least the person I chatted with) stated they were unaware of any problems like this one. I would be interested to learn if anyone else experiencing this problem is also using an external display and if they can replicate my results.

I did spend time with Apple Support, who suggested repairing disk permissions (already done) and PRAM reset. Each of these briefly corrected the problem, but it returned within several hours.

Oct 28, 2014 4:11 AM in response to T.S. Kelso

I am using an external display too, a displayport connected 27" screen on 2750 x 1440. Your results can be replicated here, it only occurs when the external display is plugged in.

I filed a bug report with Apple on october 21st and they have closed it now, being a duplicate of bug report #17099920. Unfortunately, I cannot review the details of this bugreport, but it is positive that this bug has their attention now.

Nov 17, 2014 1:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Actually, I've spent many, many hours with Apple Support trying to resolve this problem. We have tried pretty much everything, including reinstalling Yosemite. Nothing has fixed the problem. We even collected extensive logs and captured video of the performance differences with/without the external monitor.

I have found that the problem does not occur (for me) when my Apple Cinema Display is disconnected, but that's not particularly helpful. The one thing that has helped the other graphics-related issues is going into System Preferences in Accessibility and checking "Reduce transparency." It doesn't completely solve the zoom problem, but it makes it much better. Apple knows that this helps.

Accessibility zoom jerky in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.