Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not waking up from sleep after Yosemite upgrade

My iMac will not wake up from sleep mode after upgrading to Yosemite. I must force shutdown with power button, then on restart, I get grey progress bar screens X2, then it boots up normally.

Can anyone help or give insight?

Thank you!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mid 2011 27"; 2.7GHz Quad i5 12GB mem 1TB

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 1:25 PM

126 replies

Oct 19, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Sungyub Han

Sungyub Han...

Thank you for the reply. I looked into those things you suggested. My SysInfo showed me in a normal boot mode. I did do a safe mode boot, verified that, then shut down and rebooted in normal mode. I still got the grey screen + progress bar at start up, checked Sys.Info. and it showed normal boot mode.

I read the Apple Support section on "Mac OS X Gray Screen Appears At Startup", and none of those examples mentioned is happening in my case.

Thank anyway!

Oct 27, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Narnian7

OS X Yosemite: Start up in safe mode

Starting up in safe mode may help you diagnose problems you’re having with your Mac.

Important: To print these instructions, click the Share button User uploaded file in the Help window, then choose Print.

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac again, but don’t hold down any keys during startup.

Last Modified: Oct 21, 2014

Nov 3, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Shino.Duo

Hi Shino, I have this same issue and cannot solve. Were you using a 3rd party keyboard and/or mouse? I am using a 3rd party keyboard, so perhaps this has something to do with it? I have a new iMac, brand new, the only software I installed was Little Snitch and USB Overdrive, both of which I have disabled and still see this issue. I also see this in the logs:

requested push wake but lacks APSPushWakeEntitlement

Nov 22, 2014 3:45 PM in response to Narnian7

I am having this problem too on an Mac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with Yosemite 10.10.1. It was happening before the upgrade to 10.10.1 also.

I would say about once every 4 or 5 "wake from sleep" events leads to a blank screen. I can tell the iMac is up and running (I can hear the disk spinning) but I can't see anything, so I am forced to force a reboot. The iMac is being woken from sleep by me hitting the keys on the keyboard. It has always been put to sleep by me manually using the Apple menu.

I have tried unplugging my USB fitbit dongle before putting the iMac to sleep - this has not helped. I thought it had helped after maybe 7 successful "wake from sleeps" in a row, but then today it happened again.

By the way, I have a full size Apple keyboard which I have not tried unplugging also.

I also have a Thunderbolt Promise array plugged into this iMac and powered up at all times.

This event appears in the Console every time this problem occurs:

11/22/14 4:38:30.392 PM apsd[51]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()

For example, the above message appears 4 times in my logs the last time my iMac failed to turn the screen on after waking from sleep.

Really was hoping the last Yosemite update would fix this defect as it is incredibly frustrating to force reboot my iMac over and over, and deal with the iPhoto library needing repairs over and over, and potentially other issues.

iMac not waking up from sleep after Yosemite upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.