Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.6 locks up on lunch under Yosemite

Aperture 3.6 locks up when lunched, I see the Aperture desktop (minus all photos) and the only thing happening is the spinning colour wheel.

I have to do a force quite to exit the program. I am running Yosemite 10.0 Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks. --Brian

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 2:27 PM

How long are you waiting before for quitting Aperture? Aperture needs to upgrade the library, and that can take a long time. Let it run.

Also, the first few times after the upgrade it will take longer before you can access the menus.

Several users reported that they had to wait at least 40 seconds after each launch, after the initial library upgrade completed. And that background processing will be done, slowing Aperture down.

Let Aperture get the background processing done without interrupting it.

From Aperture's Release notes: Aperture 3.6 Release notes

Keep in mind that fully upgrading a very large library is a one-time process that can take a long time; the process may take many hours or even overnight, depending on the size of the library. Once the initial database upgrade is complete, you can begin working with your Aperture library. However, post-upgrade processing will continue in the background for some time, as face detection and preview generation are performed. (A progress indicator and the word "Processing" will appear in the status line of the Viewer or Browser to indicate these operations are underway.) While you can work with Aperture while these operations are performed, you may experience temporary slow-downs. Optimal performance will return when all post-upgrade processing is complete.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Brian707x

How long are you waiting before for quitting Aperture? Aperture needs to upgrade the library, and that can take a long time. Let it run.

Also, the first few times after the upgrade it will take longer before you can access the menus.

Several users reported that they had to wait at least 40 seconds after each launch, after the initial library upgrade completed. And that background processing will be done, slowing Aperture down.

Let Aperture get the background processing done without interrupting it.

From Aperture's Release notes: Aperture 3.6 Release notes

Keep in mind that fully upgrading a very large library is a one-time process that can take a long time; the process may take many hours or even overnight, depending on the size of the library. Once the initial database upgrade is complete, you can begin working with your Aperture library. However, post-upgrade processing will continue in the background for some time, as face detection and preview generation are performed. (A progress indicator and the word "Processing" will appear in the status line of the Viewer or Browser to indicate these operations are underway.) While you can work with Aperture while these operations are performed, you may experience temporary slow-downs. Optimal performance will return when all post-upgrade processing is complete.

Oct 20, 2014 3:15 AM in response to Brian707x

Brian,

I had exactly the same problem. This is the procedure which helped me to solve this issue. First, I had exported all my presets in Aperture. Than I deleted Aperture app and I also deleted file com.apple.Aperture.plist in the library folder, rebooted and installed new Aperture 3.6.

Now Aperture opens in 2 seconds (MAC MINI MID 2011).

Oct 20, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Kagr

My Aperture 3.6 works. My problem turned out to be something with my Aperture Preferences file the Library. I dragged the Preference file to the trash and rebooted.

It took a few seconds for Aperture to come up the 1st time, but on the 2nd and subsequent tries its around 2 or 3 seconds.

I do appreciate all the tips as it kept me going on this as I knew others had problems. Thanks --Brian

Oct 21, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Brian707x

Had the same exact problem after upgrading to Yosemite and Aperture 3.6. Aperture suddenly took a really long time to start. Once the app window opened it took ~30 secs to be able to even see the photo thumbnails. After that it seemed fine, but I remained concerned since I had never seen this behavior before. And it wasn't getting any better by letting it "do its thing over night". So, I went ahead and renamed (for safety) the aperture prefs file in User/Library/Preferences, rebooted, and Aperture works like a charm. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2014 1:13 PM in response to stevenfromhull

That's indeed the file I was talking about. (You did empty the trash and restart, right?) I also recall that I did a permission repair from within Aperture (by holding down Command + Option at start) before having resorted to deleting that file -- but that didn't seem to help.

Hopefully one of the other solutions works and you don't need to do this full reinstall of Aperture thing.

Oct 21, 2014 1:52 PM in response to stevenfromhull

but it looks like it keeps the state and rewrites the file if you don't reboot.

Right.

That is caused by the new process model with "automatic termination" introduced with MacOS X 10.7. (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/8/) Applications may not really quit, when you quit them, but remain in the cache, ready to run again. Yosemite is hiding the difference between running applications and terminated applications. The only way to ensure, that the preferences files will not be simply rewritten with the cached values, is restarting the Mac.

Nov 6, 2014 10:14 AM in response to Brian707x

As suggested by other posts, I trashed the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" from my Users/Library/Preferences. (You have to make your Users Library folder visible first.) I emptied the trash and restarted. I tried this a couple of times and it was still taking a long time to load the thumbnails. Finally I trashed the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file again and also trashed the Aperture.app from my applications folder, emptied the trash and then restarted. I then went to the App Store and reinstalled Aperture. This time Aperture opened rapidly, as it should. Since it created a new Photo Library,

I had to switch back to my original Library and re-do the preferences. It seems to be working correctly now.

Nov 10, 2014 2:44 AM in response to Brian707x

I'm having exactly the same problem!

Can someone explain in VERY simple terms how to find this please:

User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

I've found several other files which have com.apple and end in plist - but can't find one for Aperture. So can you explain how I get to this chain of things to get to the preferences

Many thanks

Nov 10, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Foodiesue

It will depend on your MacOS X version, how to open the hidden user library and to find the file.

In all versions will work to use the Finder's "Go" menu.

In the Finder click "Go" in the main menu bar, then select "Go to Folder" and copy and paste

~/Library/Preferences

into the text field. This will open the Preferences folder in your User library. Scroll down to com.apple.Aperture.plist

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aperture 3.6 locks up on lunch under Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.