Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Computer Names for MacBook Pro in Finder

Recently I upgraded to Yosemite. I have noticed when I open a Finder window my MacBook Pro's Name has had a number after it and the number is increasing. Under Devices today I had MacBook Pro (2), MacBook (3), etc etc. We are now on MacBook Pro (6). I have also noticed in the Shared window, my MacBook Pro shows up 5 times. Each is listed MacBook Pro (2), (3), (4), (5), and (6). My MacBook is the only hardware on our network.

Any thoughts?

Scott

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 1:52 PM

12 replies

Oct 23, 2014 8:32 AM in response to scottfcook

It doesn't matter what I do, this "Computer Name" issue just keeps coming back... Reboot AE at home or Time Capsule at work - doesn't help... This is a BIG DEAL because it has caused some of my Time Machine Backups to start over (network backups) which takes hours and hours. Apple has had this problem in the past at major OS X updates then fixed it in later updates... Same with wifi issues... I don't get it...

Oct 23, 2014 11:57 AM in response to Macsterguy

I just tried this and it seems to be holding - with airport extreme & time capsule:

• login using airport utility

• under the wireless tab - DISABLE GUEST NETWORK - this seems to stop the ghost mac

• in the wireless options tab - DISABLE 5GHZ NETWORK - this seems to stop the ghost mac

- UPDATE YOUR AIRPORT OR TIME CAPSULE - RESTART YOUR ENTIRE NETWORK

- RESTART ALL DEVICES

• on Mac's / Syst Prefs / iCloud / uncheck Back to My Mac / re-check Back to My Mac

I have never gotten better speed, reliability or distance with 5GHZ anyway...

SpeedTest.net says 90MB download / 6MB up with 5-GHZ turned on or off. Tested on my Mac, MBP, MBA and iPhone

Working so far, we will see...

Oct 23, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Macsterguy

I just tried this and it seems to be holding - with airport extreme & time capsule:

• login using airport utility

• under the wireless tab - DISABLE GUEST NETWORK - this seems to stop the ghost mac

• in the wireless options tab - DISABLE 5GHZ NETWORK - this seems to stop the ghost mac

- UPDATE YOUR AIRPORT OR TIME CAPSULE - RESTART YOUR ENTIRE NETWORK

- RESTART ALL DEVICES

• on Mac's / Syst Prefs / iCloud / uncheck Back to My Mac / re-check Back to My Mac

I have never gotten better speed, reliability or distance with 5GHZ anyway...

SpeedTest.net says 90MB download / 6MB up with 5-GHZ turned on or off. Tested on my Mac, MBP, MBA and iPhone

Working so far, we will see...

Oct 23, 2014 5:40 PM in response to Macsterguy

Hi. I have followed your instructions above. Did not have to disable the 5GHZ for the multiple instances to disappear on my wife's 2011 Macbook Air. All I did in the AirPort Utility was turn off the Guest Network. Rebooted the Time Capsule and my wife's Air and only one instance now showing. I do have a question. In the Devices section of the Finder, it still shows the Air listed as "KarenAir (8)". Any idea how to get rid of the number? If I go to Finder - Go - Computer, it just shows "KarenAir". I tried renaming it which it allowed me to do, but it did not update in "Devices" on her computer or in the "Shared" section on mine. Both still show the "(8)". Any ideas? Does this resolve itself in time? Why after renaming the HD on her machine would it still show up with the old name under Devices? I since have named it back to "KarenAir". Before doing that, I rebooted to see if that would have an effect. It did not.

BTW, "Back To My Mac" was never checked on her machine. So nothing was done as far as that goes.

Once again the question is how can the name be updated to NOT show the number under Devices in Finder.

Thanks for your help and for figuring out/posting the solution above.

Oct 24, 2014 2:33 AM in response to bill15126

Hi all

I followed the above suggestion on my macbook air, and the next day I see the incremental numbers are back. It has not fixed it for me. what is interesting is that we have 3 macbook airs at home and an iMac. The highest increment to date has been the iMac, which has gone as high at 12. This seems to suggest it gets an increment every time it comes out of sleep mode. So does it request a new IP address when it does that? I set my IP address life to 21 days but it still happens.

No one from Apple come back on this yet? Looking around it seems to be a wider issue not just confined to Yosemite or Mavericks. I have seen people reporting issues with Apple TV too, and the common thread between us all so far is using the Airport Extreme......

I cannot remember seeing this in Mavericks or Lion, but others have reported it from what I have seen. So do we have an issue with the Airport Extreme?

regards

Peter

Multiple Computer Names for MacBook Pro in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.