Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The application “Messages” does not have permission to open “IMG_5651.JPG.”

I use Messages to communicate with friends and family, and often images are sent back and forth. On my phone, it's no issue. On my MacBook Pro (early-2011), it has never been an issue prior to updating to Yosemite.

If an image is sent to me from a contact, the notification shows the image but won't display the image within the message thread.

User uploaded file

In the thread it shows a white bubble with the file name.

User uploaded file

If I right click on this little bubble, this is the menu that comes up.

User uploaded file

If I select "Open" I am greeted with this message.

User uploaded file

Selecting "Save to Downloads" does nothing. The file was not in my Downloads folder. This also happens when I send a photo/video from my phone or computer. However, if I send something from my computer, it shows on all devices. You can see where this is frustrating.

I've checked the permissions on everything, it seems like it all checks out and I decided to be safe and change anything that was "Read Only" to "Read and Write" just in case, but nothing. I've verified and repaired permissions twice in Disk Utility. I've tried changing the save location of files in the Messages app preferences. Nothing has worked. Any ideas as to what to do? Nobody else I know has this issue.

(Otherwise, I'm pretty in love with Yosemite. I love the new design of the Messages app and I can't wait for 8.1 to roll out tomorrow so I can use SMS.)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 3:02 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2017 1:07 PM in response to me_cell

HI,

In ~/Library/containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages should be an Alias of the attachments folder that is in ~/Library/Messages

If this link is not working re-create the Alias in the ~/Library/messages and drag it to the other folder.

User uploaded file

9:07 pm Saturday; June 3, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

The application “Messages” does not have permission to open “IMG_5651.JPG.”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.