Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto won't open Aperture library

I recently upgraded to Yosemite. I also installed new versions of iPhoto and Aperture. When I try opening iPhoto I receive the following message:

User uploaded file

The project opens in Aperture, which is version 3.6, with no problems, but refuses to open in iPhoto.

I suspect that iPhoto isn't aware of the new version of Aperture.

Any suggestions to be able to open the library in iPhoto?

Thanks!
Matt

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Aperture 3.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 3:48 PM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2014 11:19 PM in response to Matthew Silas

What app created the library in your case? Aperture or iPhoto. In my case it was Aperture.

I tried it with both - libraries created in Aperture and in iPhoto.

The dialog reads:

Aperture library needs to be upgraded.

To open this library in iPhoto, it needs to be upgraded with Aperture 3.3 or later.

Quit iPhoto and then open your library in Aperture to upgrade it.

The Aperture 3.6 update is supposed to fix this problem, see the Release Notes: Aperture 3.6 Release notes http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518

Aperture 3.6 Update

• Adds compatibility with OS X Yosemite.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause Aperture performance to slow down while browsing through images with onscreen proofing enabled.
  • Fixes an issue where Aperture could become unresponsive in rare cases when adding to a shared photo stream.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause Aperture to unexpectedly quit when using the Write IPTC Metadata to Originals feature.
  • Aperture no longer displays the alert, “This library has been opened with a newer version of Aperture.” when using Library First Aid with libraries previously opened in iPhoto.

Perhaps the developers have forgotten the similar fix for libraries repaired with Aperture. Try, if repairing or rebuilding the Aperture library with iPhoto will fix this.

iPhoto won't open Aperture library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.