Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to invoke Dictation & Speech with a keyword

Hello,

In Yosemite command and control Speech functionality (found under Accessibility in Mavericks, and called Speakable Items) has been combined with Dictation & Speech control panel. I like what has been done mostly. However it's caused me a new challenge I'm not sure how to solve. Let me explain.

Since Snow Leopard I've used the command and control Speech functionality in OS X. It was very useful to me because I could invoke it by just prefixing the command I wanted executed with a keyword. For example I could say: Computer Apple Menu to open the Apple Menu, Computer Microphone On (to execute an AppleScript I wrote to turn the Dragon Dictate microphone on).

Executing custom commands is still possible in Dictation & Speech. What doesn't appear to be possible, or at least I can't find it, is a way to invoke the speech command using a keyword (i.e., hands-free). You apparently now have to do some sort of shortcut to activate Speech. That involves a keyboard or mouse action. I haven't found anywhere to use a custom keyword or phrase.

This is a problem for me because I am physically disabled. Paralyzed from the neck down. If I'm sitting in my wheelchair I could pick up my mouthstick and do one of the keyboard shortcuts. However, I don't always have access to my mouthstick. Sometimes I'm using my computer from bed by voice only. It appears with this new system without a keyword to invoke things, I'm out of luck.

If I have missed something, or you have an idea for a workaround, please let me know.

Thanks...

Todd

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Late-2013 27-inch 3.5 GHz Core i7

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 4:58 AM

I realise this is a very late reply, and I can't really speak for Yosemite because I don't have a machine running it, in front of me, but I do have a machine running El Capitan and it has a voice command keyword option in the accessibility prefs. I gave it a quick test and it seems to work fine, including custom commands 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2015 4:58 AM in response to tscheresky

I realise this is a very late reply, and I can't really speak for Yosemite because I don't have a machine running it, in front of me, but I do have a machine running El Capitan and it has a voice command keyword option in the accessibility prefs. I gave it a quick test and it seems to work fine, including custom commands 🙂

Oct 3, 2015 3:49 PM in response to cmsj

I was very excited when I saw your post. Thanks for sharing.

You are absolutely right. I just upgraded to El Capitan last night and have been using it today. They have indeed restored the keyword for activating built-in voice recognition. This is HUGE for me because it now allows me to launch Dragon 5, turn Dragon 5's microphone back on if it's turned off, and restart Dragon 5 if it crashes all by voice using the built-in El Capitan voice-recognition. I can finally move my OS installs forward. Hallelujah!!

How to invoke Dictation & Speech with a keyword

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.