Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to run windows on a mac?

I am in a Quickbooks class and the 'instructor' gave the most flippant answer when I asked about whether this or that worked on a mac. It seems that Mac Quickbooks is extremely different than the PC version. I would like to know if anyone has used it and is it safe. I cannot afford to lose my data. It also appears that I might have to do this to run the PC version because it's about 5 years ahead of the PC version of Quickbooks.

Mac Mini currently since my Mac Pro is on the way out.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 1:35 AM

many users run Windows on a Mac. Either by using Apple's Boot Camp or as a virtual machine use a program like the free Virtual Box. You have to purchase Windows desperately.

You should also have an antivirus on Windows.

27 replies

Oct 20, 2014 8:36 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thank you for this information. It still worries me to run it. I have a very old PC lap top that was given to me... I wonder if it can even run the program instead of my mac?

Are you an avian vet? My life is all about parrots and I have accompany that makes physical foraging and enrichment toys for them especially my flagship item the Get a Grip climbing net. Would love to talk. http://www.eStarBird.com

Oct 20, 2014 8:42 AM in response to starbird

The Windows installation will be separate from the Mac installation in any instance. If something was to happen to the Windows installation due to virus or the like, the Mac would be untouched as the Windows installation would be basically sandboxed away from Osx. Also Windows Viruses cannot affect Macs. They simply cannot run on Macs due to the difference in operating system architecture.

Whether your old laptop can run Quickbooks is unknown. You would need to ascertain the specs of the laptop and compare them with the system requirements for the Quickbooks version you wish to install.

Oct 20, 2014 8:44 AM in response to starbird

starbird wrote:

Thank you for the info on this conundrum. The viruses worry me, but I might have to do it anyway. Or, since my needs are small, maybe I can make the Mac version work for me.

Do you use any outside accounting service (year end closing etc)

If you do you should check with them first. Many will not accept Quickbooks Mac files.

Oct 20, 2014 9:00 AM in response to starbird

Bootcamp

Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions

Boot Camp is software included with OS X so you can run compatible versions of Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Mac.

This lets you install a complete Windows machine in your Mac and boot into it. While in Windows the OSx side of the Mac is not accessible. You need to restart the computer and choose to boot into Osx to get back.

A Virtual Machine is pretty much as it sounds, it creates a virtual interpretation of a computer on your OSx installation and runs Windows in a "Window" on your Mac desktop. This Virtual computer shares your Mac's RAM and Processor. MacOsx remains active and usable, and The Windows Installation can be minimized and maximized like any application.

For both scenarios you need a valid Windows setup DVD or CD and a license Key. Usually found with the Windows Install Media. OR stickered on Windows Computers that come pre-installed with a Windows version.

Oct 20, 2014 9:04 AM in response to starbird

From personal experience:

Don't do this, buy a cheap PC, use it to run Windows software ($300 inc Windows) and Microsoft RDC (free) to be able to use it straight from your Mac. You won't enjoy QBW in a virtual machine, and a business has no business messing with the complications of Windows in Boot Camp. You probably don't need the time and risk involved with setting it up either.

This is business, not computing.

Is it safe to run windows on a mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.