Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook won't connect to TV via HDMI

i have a MacBook Air early 2014 and since i bought it i been using it with a HDMI cable to display the screen in a TV. During that time i was using Maverick 10.9. Just recently I switch to Yosemite OS X 10.10 and since them I'm not able to display the screen in my TV via HDMI. The Mac won't even detect the TV. Im using a Panasonic Viera and the HDMI adapter is a INSIGNIA. PS: I already check the show mirroring options. Also when the cable is connected the Mac would switch to a black screen for 1 second and return to the Build in display. TV would stay in a black screen at all times even when connected.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), none

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 7:36 PM

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

thanks

JHL

10 replies

Oct 20, 2014 3:46 PM in response to ramsandres

I have the same issue, It worked perfectly on Mavericks, so I doubt it is a hardware problem. After the Yosemite installation, my MacBook Air 13 inch Mid 2013 model won't detect the TV display anymore. I'm using an all-in-one Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. I've tried SMC reset, PRAM/NVRAM reset to no avail.

The display won't show up in Display preferences. But when I plug the cable in, the screen blinks but the resolution does not change. When unplugged, it does the same thing.

Oct 22, 2014 1:42 PM in response to ramsandres

I have exactly the same issue. Just tried my wife's macbook pro which hasn't been upgraded to OS X 10.10 and it works perfectly. So I know its not a cable or TV issue. I doubt it is hardware related so must be a bug within Yosemite. Please Apple release a bug fix, this is like cutting off my right arm!!

Nov 2, 2014 2:49 PM in response to ramsandres

Have exactly the same issue. Am on a work trip and cannot connect my Macbook Air to an HDMI screen any longer. The built-in screen just blinks and no external screen is detected.

From OS X 10.6 and iOS 6 to OS X 10.10 and iOS 8, Apple's products went from "it just works" to "it just doesn't work". Not worth the higher prices any longer.

Nov 3, 2014 5:13 AM in response to ramsandres

I’m also having this problem with my Macbook Air 13’’ Mid 2013.

I was using OS X 10.10 since June and it was working perfectly with external displays (HDMI and VGA with Thunderbolt adapters). Then yesterday I shutdown my computer, and after turning it on again, it does not detect the external display, but blinks when connecting or removing the cable…

Dec 26, 2014 3:57 AM in response to ramsandres

I have the same problem since updating to Yosemite. Can't watch any of the videos on my MacbookPro using an HDMI cable. I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. Is it just a few of us with the problem? Or is it Apple's way of forcing us to buy an Apple TV (cynic that I am)? Oh well, I'll have to connect to the TV in my other room using my Chromecast but it is irritating. Apple, where's your fix for this?

Macbook won't connect to TV via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.