Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to downgrade iTunes 12 to 11.4?

I recently upgraded iTunes to 12.0.1 and want to downgrade back to 11.4. I run the 11.4 installer and it says "A newer version of iTunes is already installed." So I use the terminal to delete it (sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app/) and also trash the preferences as well as Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes. Now I'm able to run the 11.4 installer, but when I launch iTunes, I get an error: "A required iTunes component is not installed. Please reinstall iTunes (-42401)." Any ideas on how I can successfully downgrade iTunes to 11.4?

It needs to be 11.4 since I share my iTunes library between two macs via file sharing, and one of them is an older mac which is unable to upgrade to version 12.

Any help appreciated! Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 8:44 PM

26 replies

Oct 22, 2014 2:48 AM in response to agoraphonics

Thanks bnbayer! After much hair pulling, that article did the trick for me. In case the article goes missing, the gist is:

1. Back up your iTunes library

2. Use AppZapper to remove iTunes: http://www.appzapper.com/

3. Delete ~/music/itunes

4. Use Pacifist to install the older version of iTunes: http://www.charlessoft.com/ (this is the crucial step)

5. Restore your iTunes library to its original location

Not sure why installing iTunes with Pacifist is necessary to insure the overwriting of existing files, but it seems to be the critical factor.

Oct 22, 2014 8:05 AM in response to agoraphonics

1) Open Terminal and run:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app

This will delete the iTunes 12 application.

2) If your Music Library is in its default place, also in the terminal:

open ~/Music/iTunes

3) Using Time Machine restore the following files:

• Album Artwork <– Folder
  • iTunes Library
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb
  • iTunes Library.xml
  • iTunes Library.itl
  • iTunes Music Library.xml
  • Previous iTunes Libraries <– Folder

No need to replace your iTunes Music Folder. You may not need to replace all these files but it can’t hurt.

4) Back in the terminal:

open /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

Use Time Machine again to restore the following files:

• AirTrafficHost.framework
  • CoreADI.framework
  • CoreFP.framework
  • DeviceLink.framework
  • iTunesAccess.framework
  • MobileDevice.framework

5) Using Time Machine restore iTunes 11.4

Nov 6, 2014 3:56 PM in response to agoraphonics

isn't there a way to downgrade without these apps, just using terminal or so?

this new iTunes 12, just like the iTunes coming with iOS 8.1 just breaks airplay with my DENON devices, even with their latest firmware updates. not going to move any other devices beyond iOS 7 or mavericks this way - got too many DENONs in my house - was a perfect choice with iOS 7 and mavericks, though...

Nov 12, 2014 6:43 PM in response to Julien VIEILLEFONT

Your instruction was easy to follow. Downgraded back to iTunes 11 yesterday a.m. This morning the iTunes 12 red icon was back in my dock! When I looked at "Info" for the app it showed that iTunes 12 had installed late yesterday afternoon! Any idea how that happened? I did not install any upgrades. I am going to downgrade iTunes 11 again. Thanks.

Nov 13, 2014 5:17 AM in response to ellegant

Apple is insistent about their "upgrades".

Go to System Preferences then select App Store (NOTE: you're not actually in App Store - you're still in System Preferences)

Make sure "Install app updates" isn't checked. I don't know if Apple would consider ITunes a "system data file", but I've unchecked that too.

Pre-Mavericks there was an option in Software Update to "ignore update" but it's gone. As I said, Apple is insistent and doesn't want you to be able to ignore what it's trying to make you use.

Nov 13, 2014 5:33 AM in response to bnbayer

Thank you. I knew there was someplace to do exactly that. I hadn't poked around enough. I initially looked for it under Software Update. I too feel exactly the same about Apple telling me what's good for me. I am no stranger to Apple and Macs. My first was a PowerBook 150. Seems like for every step forward Apple takes in the user control experience it takes two steps back .

Nov 13, 2014 6:00 AM in response to ellegant

One other warning: some (all?) of your iTunes preferences will be lost in the "upgrade" - restore process. I just realised yesterday that every CD I've ripped in the past month since the iTunes 12 debacle was ripped to AAC rather than ALAC.

Sigh. 101 CDs to redo in lossless format. Fortunately it seems most of the edits to metadata I did are preserved, and maybe some of the artwork.

How to downgrade iTunes 12 to 11.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.