Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No option to turn on cellular calls

I have upgraded to Yosemite and have iOS 8 on my iPhone 5S.

The option for iPhone cellular calls has been turn on my iPhone, but when i go to FaceTime > Preferences there is no option to turn on cellular calls like man of the instructions guide state.

Is there something that i need to do to have this option appear on my FaceTime?

Mac Book Pro

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 10:04 PM

7 replies

Oct 25, 2014 5:50 AM in response to majeedslm

There is no such option in FaceTime. All you have to do is enter the phone number you want to call in the facetime window, and if your iPhone is on and connected to the same wifi network then it will be found and used if the entered number cannot be connected to via facetime.

There is however a catch. There is no numeric keypad available in facetime (not what I have found at least). This means that you for example cannot use this to call Apple Care support. Since it is impossible to enter the "menu" selection (press one for ...).

If this feature works also depends a lot on the network connected to. On my hone network it works fine. At work it actually finds my phone (ren banner on top for a short time), but then fail to make the call.

Apr 5, 2015 3:59 AM in response to rockysang

I have experienced issues relating to the continuity feature that allows one to make cellular calls from an iPad or Macbook. Basically I was no longer able to make/receive iPhone calls from my iPad or Macbook. There is usually an option in settings/facetime on my iPhone 6 running iOS8.2 for iPhone cellular calls. This needs to be switched on. There is usually also an option on my late 2013 high spec Macbook running Yosemite (in FaceTime preferences) for the same thing - this also needs to be switched on. These iPhone cellular options totally disappeared from the menu systems when I was playing around with 2 step verification and signing in and out of FaceTime etc. My devices were definitely on the same wifi network. I phoned Applecare who suggested a couple of options though were unable to resolve the problem, they suggested it was a Carrier issue which it certainly was not. Applecare made an appointment for me at my local Apple Store. Basically the cellular options re-appeared on my Mac and iPad after switching off 2 step authentication, logging out of Facetime, iMessages and iCloud on ALL devices and logging back into all using my basic apple ID. I have no idea whether all of that was necessary, but it worked. I am now in the process of returning to 2 step verification. Hopefully it will continue to work....

I can now make/receive cellular calls from my Macbook and iPad.

I also learnt that the iPhone and Macbook are not designed to link to each other via Bluetooth. I had thought there may have been some hardware issue when mine would not connect - apparently not.

Nov 24, 2015 2:22 PM in response to NM_China

I have the same question. I enabled Calls using iPhone more than 4 month ago and until yesterday I was making and receiving calls fine. Today I don't know what happens but calls doesn't works !! .. I tried to configure again but the mentioned tick box is not on the FaceTime menu as you see in the pic. I have Yosemite OS X 10.10 in Mac and iOS 9.1 in my iPhone .. can both buttons disappears just like that ?? The article in C|Net shows the mentioned button with the yellow arrow. The dialer says consistently the number IS UNAVAILABLE .. since today !! Yesterday was all working nice !! Mac and iPhone are om the same net.

User uploaded file

No option to turn on cellular calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.