Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble to access ".local" domain

In my company we use a lot of .local domain for internal services.

With maverick i have access to this domains, but with yosemite i didn't have access.

I already try to look at mDNSResponder by did'nt find why this didn't work with all the "*.local" domain 😟

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 1:33 AM

42 replies

Oct 20, 2014 4:09 AM in response to blacksmith07

We are having .local issues at the institution I work for as well. What we're seeing is that most applications (e.g. browsers, Finder for connecting to shares) will not connect to a server using an FQDN ending in example.local, but they will connect to the server just fine if only the hostname is specified and example.local is in the search domain.

Mail.app seems to be an exception to this, in that it will still connect, but it takes an inordinate amount of time for that initial connection to come up.

It seems that Yosemite's implementation of Bonjour sticks much more strictly to RFC 6762, and so it assumes anything that uses .local explicitly should be resolved using mDNS, rather than traditional unicast-DNS. In previous releases, these queries were done in parallel, but now I'm not even sure the unicast query happens at all.

Oct 20, 2014 6:08 AM in response to Kenneth Barnt

Hello.

I've experienced the same problem.

Solution that helped me - http://blog.malyshev.com/?p=1513

Briefly. Apple use .local domain for Bonjour service.

At pre-Yosemite versions, OS make attempt to resolve host via DNS, then via Bonjour. In Yosemite and iOS 8 that is reversed (strange solution).

To solve this problem, go to Network > Advanced... > DNS. In "Search Domains" enter name of your local domain (example.local).

I'm sure this will help.

Tags: domain.local, Yosemite, idiots.

Oct 20, 2014 6:57 AM in response to uwcxjly

Hello,

Your solution does work only if using short names :

* "host.mydomain.local" won't resolv

* "host" will resolv

I face the same problem in my company. Everything is under .local (lots of subdomains)

I didn't find any workaround for the moment (even adding --no-multicast argument to the discoveryd service command line doesn't work).

Oct 23, 2014 4:51 AM in response to uwcxjly

This didn't help me.

Instead I tried to connect to server (Command + K) in Finder. I wrote the DNS-iP instead of the .local address. I found the iP in System Preferences/Network/Advanced/DNS on the left column instead of the search-domains on the right hand side, where the .local domain was.

Then I was asked for my password (which on Maverick was in the keychain i guess).

This worked for me.

I know very very little about this stuff, but maybe it will help you.

(maybe it has something to do with the password protection)

Oct 23, 2014 7:59 AM in response to blacksmith07

Add one more that works in a company that uses .local for all its internal hosts. No internal hosts are in the xxx.com domain, so that's not an option.

I, too, had no trouble with Mavericks.

There have been reports of trouble resolving the .local domain since 2002 - do a search with your favorite engine. Apple has known they have issues for over 10 years.

IMHO: .local DNS searches should definitely NOT be passed to external DNS servers, but in my case, the DNS server is at 192.168.xxx.xxx, an internal host. In that case, the search CAN be passed on to an internal DNS host. Non-public domain ips are 'well-known' and Apple can definitely let .local requests be passed to DNS servers hosted on a private network.

Trouble to access ".local" domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.