Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop not working between Mavericks and Yosemite

I have Mavericks 10.9.5 on a mid 2011 27" iMac and Yosemite 10.10 on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" late-2013.

Airdrop is open in Finder on both machines, but they're not seeing each other.

Two days ago when the MBP was running Mavericks, airdrop was working fine and dandy.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 12:39 AM

11 replies

Dec 9, 2014 1:16 AM in response to Andrew Bayly

For me, what worked was the "Don't see who you're looking for?" option followed by Search for an Older Mac.

I have Yosemite 10.10.1 and Mavericks 10.9.5

Update:

For transfer issues, try this workaround

* Transfers were not working from Mavericks to Yosemite

* I sent a file from Yosemite to Mavericks

* After that I could send from Mavericks to Yosemite too

User uploaded file

Sep 18, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Ricky F

So this is crazy, but I did not have the option for Older Macs, either, so I played around with the options, and chose Allow Me to be Discovered by: No one, (which made absolutely no sense to choose) and then the option: Don't see who you're looking for? showed up and I was able to transfer a file!

Unfortunately for ABM78, he/she doesn't have any options, so I have no idea how to fix that one, unless the computer hardware is too old for Airdrop.

I hope this helps someone else, and hopefully Apple can make things more clear in this regard.

Airdrop not working between Mavericks and Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.