Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icons in Finder sidebar

Since upgrading from Mavericks, there has been an odd icon for Downloads in the finder sidebar. I've removed the Downloads sidebar entry and re-added it, completely deleted the caches (/Library and ~/Library) in the terminal, but the odd icon remains. Is there anything I can do to fix this erratic icon? See attached image. While the icon shown in getinfo is correct, the sidebar icon is wrong. Any ideas?

User uploaded file

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 2:59 AM

9 replies

Oct 21, 2014 3:05 PM in response to dcnicholls

I logged a bug report with Apple, to see what happens. However, I noticed another odd phenomenon that's related. I connected to the Yosemite machine from another (Mavericks) MBP, and when opening the remote file system (i.e., the Yosemite machine), I noticed that the icon in the (Mavericks) finder showed the Yosemite icon, whereas all the other folders (Applications, Documents, etc) were the normal Mavericks icons.

There appears to be something about the Yosemite Downloads folder that is different from the others.

May 30, 2015 11:04 AM in response to dcnicholls

Just noticed the same thing... but I like it! It makes the Download icon stand out as opposed to all the same-colored folder icons (whether grey or blue via cDock).

Now, if only I could figure out to make the Sidebar icons take colors! Even if I've change the icons on the desktop, and they show that way whether in List View or others; they do not bring the color over to the Sidebar. I've tried cDock color on and off to no avail!

Icons in Finder sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.