Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Ipad air 2 wifi only model support GPS?

iPad Air, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 5:30 AM

15 replies

Jan 29, 2015 11:36 AM in response to parapontisj

Just an FYI (not bashing Apple), I found that some other tablets with wifi only DO have a GPS chip. The NVIDIA SHIELD wifi has the chip, so I could run a hotspot on my phone and use the SHIELD as a nice GPS screen. Other tablets may do this also, this is just my one experience. It would be nice if apple could put the GPS chip in as well.

Dec 27, 2016 12:40 PM in response to parapontisj

Wow! Dirty Little Secret. Just spent $500. on an iPad Air 2 for my wife's Christmas. No GPS connection for my hiking wife with her dog. Unbelievable, Except that I didn't check until now. Location based on wifi connection. Right. Very useful in Yosemite. No, the REAL one in the Sierra Nevadas. I must someday learn my basic lesson.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.