Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt USB not working in Yosemite

I updated to the latest OS Yosemite and now on both my Thunderbolt displays none of the USB's work at all. I have external hard drives connected to them and they wont turn on at all. They are not getting any power from the USB's. I have tried restarting multiple times. Unplugging an plugging everything back in but nothing seems to work. Apple needs to send a patch for this ASAP. It is a huge part of my work life.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 8:54 AM

53 replies

Oct 21, 2014 6:15 PM in response to JakeSanDiego

Same issue here. Started happening in beta rounds. Still here in latest 10.10 (14A388b). Never happened previous to update to beta. Unplugging everything from macbook pro retina. Unplugging power from back of monitor, waiting 10s and replug monitor and then power followed by thunderbolt, will bring screen back. Close lid screen still works. Still continuing to fail randomly anywhere from 5 to 30 mins later. Have tried PRAM and SMC.

Nov 3, 2014 7:17 AM in response to JakeSanDiego

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) running Yosemite 10.10 and I have the same problem. When I called Apple Support they said they had no record of this problem and that there was no fix since the Thunderbolt Display was basically like a TV. The support agent didn't seem to get that the problem was on the MacBook Pro and related to the Yosemite upgrade. Worthless.

Nov 5, 2014 5:16 PM in response to hahnomat

I have the same problem on connecting with my MacBook Pro. I took both my computer and the monitor to the campus

Apple store. They replaced both the thunderbolt cable and the then the logic board. Fortunately both were covered by an extended warranty so there repairs were performed on Apples buck. Came home and plugged in the monitor. Problem remains. I have performed a backup of my computer on two external drives and plan to reinstall Mavericks. The technicians suggested that I consider the possibility. After observing the numerous reports of the similar problem, it is clear that Yosemite is the problem.

Nov 6, 2014 8:30 AM in response to JakeSanDiego

I'm also having this issue. I have a 15' Macbook Pro (Early 2013) connected to 2 thunderbolt displays in series.

When Yosemite boots up the USB works on the displays but stops working right after login. I had no problem in Mavericks. I've tried numerous types of devices on both displays (Keyboards, mice, usb sticks, usb hubs) and they all don't work. Major Yosemite fail!

The usb ports on the laptop work fine though.

Nov 6, 2014 11:00 AM in response to AmpZero

Update...

I've opened a ticket with support to get this resolved. They had me go through the typical trouble shooting steps:

- Reset SMC/PRAM

- Boot Safe Mode

- Reinstall Yosemite

None of these have worked.

Further findings are that the USB ports work fine in the FileVault 2 disk unlock login screen. Once the password is entered and the disk is unlocked everything resets and the USB ports stop working. The facetime camera in displays are also not working.

I created a new user as well, to see if it was something user specific. But that didn't work either....

Phone support is calling me back at noon pacific.

Thunderbolt USB not working in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.