Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12: Unable to transfer music between computers

For years, iTunes allowed me to transfer music between authorized Macs on my home network. The side bar showed "shared" libraries, and when selected, you would then see the other computer's library to the right of the side bar. However, the side bar would still contain library information for the computer that you were using. Now, with iTunes 12, you have to select the computer that you want to view, and the side bar only contains information for that computer. I can see NO POSSIBLE WAY to transfer music between computers. I just bought my daughter a Macbook Pro, and wanted to be able to transfer some of the albums from my vast music collection, most of which was transferred from my CDs. I'm guessing the only way to do it so back up my music to an external drive, then import it into her computer. A process that would be acceptable if this were 2002. Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 9:31 AM

36 replies

Oct 29, 2014 3:12 PM in response to Drew Reece

I actually did find that information prior to posting my question. The information is simply incorrect.

Error Number One: It states: "Once you've turned on Home Sharing, all of the libraries from your computers will show up in the Shared section in the upper-right corner of iTunes." There is no shared section in the right upper corner.

Error Number Two: It says you can transfer music between authorized computers, drag music between computer libraries, and set iTunes automatically to import purchases. "To do so, select the library from the upper-left corner of iTunes. Then click on the Settings menuUser uploaded filein the lower right corner of the Home Sharing window. Select what you'd like to import from the pop-up window." However, once you select the other computer's library (from the top left corner), the settings menu disappears. As an added bonus, when you are in your own library, the setting menu is visible, but you cannot select it.

I'm very, very unhappy about this. Basic functionality has disappeared. This never would have happened prior to the current regime. It would appear that whoever is designing and releasing iTunes does not use it in the real world.

Oct 29, 2014 8:14 PM in response to demichae

Looks like the documentation is wrong…

Do you have the 'house' icon at the top left? Shared libraries appear under there for me on iTunes 12.1.0.26 on Mavericks.

If you cannot see any items under that popup reboot the devices on your network (this relies on zeroconfig a.k.a. Bonjour, so reboot the router too if possible).

UPDATE…

As for moving the items you simply drag the files & then a sidebar slides in showing the local Library & playlists. You can drag & drop the files to move them to the Mac.

Oct 30, 2014 12:36 AM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

As for moving the items you simply drag the files & then a sidebar slides in showing the local Library & playlists. You can drag & drop the files to move them to the Mac.

That's how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't work that way on my iMac. I can open a shared library, but I can do nothing with the songs except play them. But I can't drag and drop them in the local library.

Nov 3, 2014 12:26 PM in response to Drew Reece

I do have the house icon in the top left, and I can see the other libraries. One I open the library, I can see the songs or albums (depending on view selected), but there's no way to drag them.

If I right click on one of the songs, there's an option to copy, but it's not possible to paste it into my library, and I'm not sure what the copy function does.

I tried going to "File" on the top left iTunes screen, and clicking on "add to library," but I have no idea what it just did, but it definitely did not add music from the shared library. It started asking if my if I really wanted to replace iOS apps with older version (?). It didn't import any of the music from the shared library, so don't try doing that.

Nov 3, 2014 12:40 PM in response to demichae

As I start to drag in the list view the sidebar comes in for dropping into a playlist or the Macs library.

If that isn't happening I'd check that both machines are allowed to use the same home sharing ID (in the file menu the active account is listed).

At this point I suspect you have tried this. It would be simplest to export into a folder on one Mac & then import via the 'automatically add to iTunes folder' in the library.

Nov 21, 2014 1:13 PM in response to Ty Lastrapes

I finally worked this out. You need to use just one login for each computer.

go to file, home sharing and turn off on all the computers you want to share and have the ability to drag and drop.

Then go back into file, home sharing and use one itunes login then go to the next computer and use the same itunes login - this authorises the 2nd computer to access and drag and drop from the 1st etc.

Jan 18, 2015 8:29 PM in response to demichae

I just figured this out.

From your current iTunes, look for the house icon in the upper lefthand corner. Use the toggle arrows to switch to your "remote" iTunes instance. Find the items you wish to copy to the current machine's iTunes. Drag the item (say, an album) over to the top of the source list, where the library would normally be. As you drag, all the sudden, the library and source list of the current iTunes flies in from the left side, and you will be able to drop the item into the library.

Way to go Apple! Keep on hiding the long term features of your core software, so that no existing users can figure it out. Microsoft is proving it's a great strategy with Windows 8!

I am extremely disappointed in the changes to iTunes 12. I have tweaked and tweaked it, trying in vain to get it to behave like previous versions of iTunes. In its current incarnation, I think it ONLY works for dilettante users who have bought fewer than 50 albums or several handfuls of individual songs directly from the iTunes store. Personally, I have over 180GB of music, almost 31,000 songs, most of which are imported directly from CD. I've been using iTunes since SoundJam - BEFORE Apple bought it to create iTunes. They are not moving iTunes forward, nor are they making it easier to use. There have been no usability changes to address the cluttered and cobbled together strategy of the Mac as "digital hub," until these changes, and these changes have made it MORE difficult to see and manage the content in the library. Utterly disgusting. It's bad enough that iOS is completely lacking the power to fully manage a media library, now Apple is stripping that same power out of iTunes.

Jan 21, 2015 6:02 PM in response to demichae

I have had no problem transferring songs from one computer to another between iTunes 12.0 and 10.6 (which I prefer!).

1. You have to have Home Sharing turned on on both machines.

2. On the 12.0 machine on the home sharing icon select the other machine you want to transfer music (or other media).

3. This will bring up a complete list, then select “items not in my library” in the bottom bar.

4. Select the songs you want to move and hit import, and wait.

May 18, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Stuggy

Mine still isn't working. I can now get the fly-out Playlists on the other iTunes lib (by both signing in with the same Apple ID). But... when I drag my playlist from my PC to the left, her playlists fly out and I can drop my play list there - right? It doesn't allow me to insert a new playlist because it either highlights an existing playlist (thereby copying my playlist inside of her existing one or highlights the Library selections. I tried to drop them there anyway. No dice. Auauggghhh. Banging head against the wall.

Really Apple? Really?

May 18, 2015 11:33 AM in response to zonomo

If I'm understanding correctly, you are dragging remote playlists to your iTunes library.

I'd suggest you select all the tracks in the remote playlist & try adding them to your library & then create the playlist after they import.

I don't have iTunes 12 in front of me, so maybe I am misunderstanding. Also you have never been able to create playlists on remote libraries, so be sure that you are working in your own library.

iTunes 12: Unable to transfer music between computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.