Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite SMB from XP/Win8

I am unable to connect to the SMB share on my newly upgraded Yosemite machines from a Windows client. I could connect fine in Mavericks. I can connect fine via smbclient on a linux machine.

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: uid=0

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: od failed with 2 proto=lm

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: user=\

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: kdc failed with -1561745597 proto=unknown

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request guest: ok user=ORCHARD\GUEST proto=lm flags: NEG_KEYEX, ENC_128, NEG_VERSION, NEG_TARGET_INFO, NEG_NTLM2, NEG_ALWAYS_SIGN, NEG_ANONYMOUS, NEG_NTLM, NEG_SIGN, NEG_TARGET, NEG_UNICODE

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: init request

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: init return domain: ORCHARD server: ORCHARD indomain was: <NULL>

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: init request

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: init return domain: ORCHARD server: ORCHARD indomain was: <NULL>

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: od failed with 2 proto=ntlmv1-with-v2-session

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: user=EEEPC\flur

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: kdc failed with -1561745600 proto=ntlmv1

Oct 20 12:19:34 orchard.lan digest-service[1173]: digest-request: guest failed with -1561745590 proto=ntlmv1-with-v2-session

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:46 AM

Could you try (a) turn samba off and on again in sharing

or (b) change the local security policy on your PC. (borrowed from here http://www.jimmah.com/vista/net/ntlm.aspx)

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System and Maintenance
  4. Click Administrative Tools
  5. Double-Click Local Security Policy
  6. In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
  7. In the left pane, click Security Options
  8. In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN manager authentication level"
  9. Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"
  10. Click OK
22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 7:46 AM in response to flur

Could you try (a) turn samba off and on again in sharing

or (b) change the local security policy on your PC. (borrowed from here http://www.jimmah.com/vista/net/ntlm.aspx)

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System and Maintenance
  4. Click Administrative Tools
  5. Double-Click Local Security Policy
  6. In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
  7. In the left pane, click Security Options
  8. In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN manager authentication level"
  9. Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"
  10. Click OK

Oct 27, 2014 12:13 PM in response to rebelscum75

I stumbled across this thread today...I have had the same issue. My virtual XP machine runs inside VMWare Fusion on a Mac mini. My file server is a Mac Pro. Recently upgraded everything to Yosemite and my Fusion to 7.0 and suddenly XP won't authenticate to the Mac Pro. The password prompt just resets itself over and over like the password is wrong.

So tried Rebel's advice and it didn't make a difference. So I decided to play for a minute. By changing the LAN Manager authentication level to "Send NTLMv2 response only", magically everything now works as it should! Thanks!

Nov 12, 2014 1:31 PM in response to rebelscum75

In XP Pro SP3 it's: (other versions will be slightly different)

• Start
  • Control Panel
  • Administrative Tools
  • Local Security Policy

Then

• Left pane expand Local Policies
  • Left pane click Security Options
  • Right pane double click Network Security: LAN Manager authentication Level

Then

• In dropdown select Send NTLMv2 response only
  • Click Apply

On the Yosemite (10.10) side:

• Apple Menu
  • System Preferences
  • Sharing

Then

• Left pane tick box for File Sharing
  • Right side click Options

Then

• Tick box for Share Files And Folders Using SMB
  • Under Windows File Sharing the accounts you want to be able to access files
  • Click Done

You should now be able to log in to access files on your Mac from your XP machine. This worked for me I hope it does as well for you.

EG

Nov 13, 2014 1:54 PM in response to georg234

I just upgraded to Yosemite and one of my Windows 7 clients could not logon no matter what I tried.

"changing the policy from "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" to "Send NTLMv2 response only" it magically worked - like Tim described it" worked for me! 2 days l will never get back.

Thanks, Tim and Georg!

Jan 4, 2015 11:16 PM in response to flur

I had Vista Home Premium, W7 Home Premium, W7 Pro all not working with my recently upgraded Mac Pro. None of the suggestions about changing the Local Security Policy worked, whether via RegEdit or GUI.

When I installed Yosemite, somewhere along the way, it offered to use my iCloud password as my machine password. I chose that option, and that was the cause of my troubles. The share from iMac (also with Yosemite) is working fine with these same systems. Once I remembered that difference and put it back to a separate system password for the Mac Pro, all Windows machines can access the shares from it.

BTW, that Lsa setting was actually undefined in my W7 machines, meaning not set. And on Vista Home, it needs to be a 3 (which is what it was to start).

Nice way to kill a few hours... =:-o :-\

Jan 28, 2015 12:36 AM in response to NaseerKhan

Has anyone of you tested the SMB share under a XSAN 10.10 environment?

I recently setup an Xsan 4 Full yosemite 10.10.1 with OS X Server 4.0.3
The MDC1 and 2 are properly configured as DNS and OD master and Replica

Every workstation that regularly mount the Xsan volume, access to the San with an "Edit" user with ID 502
The resharing in AFP and SMB is done byt the MDC servers by a simple local user named "share", always with ID 502. No special permissions. The simplest of the simplest with R/W to everyone

The network resharing in connected from a Mac works flawlessly in both AFP and SMB. I can mount the Volume, read and write everything without issues.

The network connection from a windows machine is causing me troubles.
I can access the Volume with the user "share", and also map it regularly as network drive.
I can see all the files
I can access and create folders, and also delete folders (if empty)
BUT
I canNOT copy files inside the Xsan volume, nor copy them from the Xsan Volume to the Windows desktop.
When i try toi copy a file, Ihe progression bar of the copy on windows appears, showing that he's copying, but always not moving, and generate files of 0kb. I do not receive any error message. It just stays there stuck. This happens in both way, copying into the Xsan volume, or copying from.
No denied access, no errors at all.
No firewall, no antivirus running, tested on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 and different physical machines

Same result connecting with Admin account 501

The volume has been created twice to test this: tried both with Native Extended Attributes enabled or Disabled. Same problem.

Also doing the settings described in this topic does not solve it

Do you have any idea for this issues?

One last thing: If i share a LOCAL folder (DAS), i do not have any issues with that folder, and windows works perfectly

I've always shared an Xsan volume on Windows, since OS Leopard 10.5, till Maverick 10.9.5 without issues, and now this.
Could it be an OD problem?

Thanks you very much for your time

Yosemite SMB from XP/Win8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.