Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 - Devices can't connect to Hotspot

Hello community,

I got my iPhone 6 (T-Mobile) from the Apple Online-Store and use it with a MetroPCS Sim-card.

Everything is working fine, except the Personal Hotspot. No device (iPad, Laptop, other smartphone) is able to connect to the hotspot.

I looked around on the internet and found some compareable problems, but all suggested solutions did not work for me.

I also put the SIM into my old HTC One phone and opened a hotspot - this worked fine, so there is no problem with my MetroPCS plan.

Here is what I tried (All from the Apple support website for Hotspot problems):

- Reset network settings

- Reset general settings

- Reset the whole phone to factory settings

- turned on/off Wifi, Hotspot, Mobile Data

I also went to an Apple Store and they told me, that MetroPCS is not supported so they can't help me.

This is not what I expected from Apple and I'm pretty sure that somebody else has a solution for me.

The Hotspot works with the same sim-card in an Android phone so why shouldn't it work with the iPhone 6.

Thanks for all your help!

Steffen

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 11:50 AM

15 replies

Oct 20, 2014 1:23 PM in response to smphe

And what did MetroPCS tell you about Personal Hotspot? Personal Hotspot will only activate if the carrier supports it, and since you are using an unsupported carrier, they probably cannot provide you with settings to get it to activate. The fact that it works on another brand phone is not material to this. How those devices support their hotspot and how Apple supports theirs is different.

Oct 20, 2014 1:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

What happens is, that I can activate the Hotspot and every device can see it, but non of them can connect.

On an Android-device I can see, that it is trying to "authenticate" when I try to connect and it doesn't go trough.

I didn't ask MetroPCS especially about the iPhone 6, but I know that it works on an iPhone 5S.

Oct 21, 2014 5:42 AM in response to smphe

I am having the same problem with my new iPhone 6. I used to be able to connect to my hotspot on my iPhone 4, but since upgrading my phone to a 6, I can no longer connect to my hotspot with my iPad. This was the issue with the original ios 8 that came installed with the phone. It is also the issue this morning since I upgraded to 8.1. My iPad sees my iPhone 6 hotspot but when I try to connect I get a failure to connect. My ISP is the same with my iPhone 6 as it was with my iPhone 4. The only change is going to a new iPhone 6, and iOS 8, or in my case 8.1 now.

Oct 21, 2014 9:09 AM in response to Pauleduc

I am having the same problem with my new iPhone 6. I used to be able to connect to my hotspot on my iPhone 4, but since upgrading my phone to a 6, I can no longer connect to my hotspot with my iPad. This was the issue with the original ios 8 that came installed with the phone. It is also the issue this morning since I upgraded to 8.1. My iPad sees my iPhone 6 hotspot but when I try to connect I get a failure to connect. My ISP is the same with my iPhone 6 as it was with my iPhone 4. The only change is going to a new iPhone 6, and iOS 8, or in my case 8.1 now.

Update:

I called apple support and she had me try a number of things, including resetting my phone back to its factory condition, with nothing else installed on it.. ie, a new virgin phone. She also called my ISP (Rogers) to confirm that hotspot was indeed included in my package. When I enabled the hotspot, I finally saw the blue banner saying the hotspot was now discoverable, and had one connection (despite the fact that no devices were connected!). I went to my ipad, and saw my new iphone and tried to connect.. after about 30 seconds, I got this failure to connect message again. Back on the iphone, the banner message had disappeared, and I have not been able to get it back even after turning hotspot off and on.

The support rep sent me a diagnostic link to collect my phone's information, and sent it to the engineers.. she said I should expect some feedback within a week. I am not holding my breath!

iPhone 6 - Devices can't connect to Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.