Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Aperture will delete my library as well?

Hi, I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and a very large photo library, so my Aperture is working too slow and I wish to move to iPhoto.

I have already tried and opened my Aperture Library on iPhoto and it worked just fine.

But I would like to delete Aperture from my Mac, so I´d like to know if it´s possible to do this without losing my entire library.

Has anybody tried doing the same thing?

I know Aperture is much more powerful, but I´ve neve used much of its functionalities and iPhoto will suit my needs as a basic user.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 12:25 PM

You can delete the application, Aperture, without effecting the library.

Deleting an application is generally not a very good way to regain disk space because the applications are so small in comparison to the data.

5 replies

Oct 20, 2014 12:33 PM in response to gazottojr

Hi, I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and a very large photo library, so my Aperture is working too slow

The size of the photo library is usually not a reason for slowness, unless you are running out of disk space and have less than 10 GB free disk space. More likely reasons for slowness are a corruption of the photo library after crashes or force quitting, incompatible software installed, or corrupted, unreadable image files or videos.

Have you tried the basic trouble shooting, like repairing your Aperture library? See Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

As Allan Eckert said - you can delete Apture and it will not delete the Aperture library. Only, Aperture and iPhoto are not fully compatible. You cannot unhide rejected images in iPhoto, or edit Aperture books or slideshows. You may want to be able to open Aperture at a later time. If you delete the app, keep a backup, so you can restore it, if need be.

Oct 20, 2014 12:45 PM in response to gazottojr

Hi Allan and léonie, thank you both for the quick reply.

I know the app size is not the issue, I just don´t think Aperture helps me that much since I´m not much into photo editing and when I do have to use Aperture, it consumes much of my RAM (as I could see with the memory app I downloaded with OS X Yosemite).

I will try following léonie´s advice and see if it works (hope it does). If it doesn´t, I´ll definitely switch to iPhoto.

Again, thanks for your advice and tips.

Oct 20, 2014 12:51 PM in response to gazottojr

Use iPhoto, if you are happy with it. I have used it for many years, and it can do most of the things I need from a photo library and editor. Just keep Aperture, in case you need it for rejected photos or another emergency. You paid good money for it.

Doing the trouble shooting steps will be important for iPhoto as well, since both applications are sharing the same library.

Deleting Aperture will delete my library as well?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.