Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign into App store, problems with Apple ID

I installed Yosemite. Before I could do that Apple made me create a new Apple ID. Now some things won't recognize my new id and password. If I log out it shows my old Apple ID and I can't change it to put in the correct one. Also if I enter the old password that went with the old ID which it displays, it won't recognize that either. I can still get in though because I have automatic log in set.

Furthermore, I want to download the 5 updates it says I need, but the App Store won't recognize my new ID and password. As with the Log In box, it displays my old id and won't let me type in the new one. So I can't get into the App Store. Why is this and how do I get around it? Why are parts of the system still trying to use my old id but won't even let me use it because it won't recognize the password?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 1:42 PM

52 replies

Oct 20, 2014 1:56 PM in response to westenddude

Now, although I tried several times before posting the problem above, when I went back to the App store my new Apple ID was in the sign in box, so it let me in. But it still won't let me update iMovie and iPhoto. It gives me an error message saying that a different user purchased my Mac or purchased and cancelled it, so those updates are not available to me. Now what? How do I update iMovie and iPhoto? I am the person who bought my Mac, but of course when I bought it, I was using my original Apple ID which I've been forced to change. In Manage my Apple ID I even deleted the old id, but I'm still having all these problems with my id.

Oct 20, 2014 2:04 PM in response to westenddude

Before I could do that Apple made me create a new Apple ID.

That makes no sense, why would Apple make you create a new Apple ID. Having more than one Apple ID causes lots of problems for folks. Content is forever tied to the Apple ID that bought it. Apple does not transfer content from one Apple ID to another. Apple does not merge Apple IDs. You will never be able to access your content bought with one Apple ID with a new Apple ID.

Oct 20, 2014 2:07 PM in response to westenddude

Because when I bought my iMac, I set up my id using a name that was not an email address. It was associated with an email address that no longer exists. A few days ago, before I was able to install Yosemite, when I tried to sign in it made me create a new id and password because it said all ids now had to be an email address, and the old password that I had did not meet the new criteria for a password.

Oct 20, 2014 2:16 PM in response to Dah•veed

Now I just tried to get back into the App store, and it has my old ID in the box again. I logged out to see if anything had changed there, and instead of displaying my old id as it had earlier this afternoon, it displayed my new id, but it still won't accept my new password. So I can't use the system administrator stuff if I want to allow a guest to use my computer.

So I restarted my computer and went back to the App store and the old username was back in the sign in box and I couldn't change it to get in.

Oct 29, 2014 11:11 AM in response to westenddude

User uploaded file

I have the same problem with app update, but I already removed this app for a long time since OS X Snow Leopard.

Today, I have updated OSX to 10.10 (Yosemite), some update notification come up that can normally updated from my new iCloud Apple ID but not for this app, it show my old hotmail Apple ID and can't change it. This notification is annoy me. I'm very try to search and find my install from this application but it not on my Macbook anymore. How can I remove this annoy notification. 😟

Nov 5, 2014 1:36 PM in response to Dah•veed

That's absurd and unreasonable. For one thing, this is an issue that is new with Yosemite. I have been using this computer for months with no similar update issues. For another, I was able to actually replace the entire operating system (Mavericks => Yosemite) using my current Apple ID, so surely updating e.g. iPhoto should not be a problem. Lastly, I am able to update certain apps (like XCode) without this problem.

So as far as I can tell, this is an issue with Yosemite that should be resolved by Apple; or, if someone can suggest a workaround I would be grateful.

Nov 5, 2014 2:57 PM in response to adriandz

It is neither. It should have been done before the Mac was passed to you. You likely now have a Mac with content belonging to the accounts of two different users. You will be able to update and redownload the content that be;longs to you. You won't be able to update or download the content that belongs to the other user. It is only related to Yosemite because the iLife and iWork apps have new versions for Yosemite, but since they aren't your apps, you can't upgrade them.

Nov 5, 2014 6:36 PM in response to Dah•veed

I understand what you're saying but I don't think "should have" is a good way to build software. I still think this is unreasonable for the following reasons:

1) I'm an admin user of the computer and should have the power to administer it as I see fit. (At the moment I am deleting the user account that is interfering with things, we'll see if that fixes things).

2) I understand what you are saying about "content that belongs to the other user", but we're not talking about applications that the other user purchased. We are talking about applications (e.g. iPhoto) that come as stock applications bundled with the OS. The OS itself was "content that belongs to the other user" and yet I could upgrade it without difficulty.

Nov 5, 2014 7:13 PM in response to adriandz

iWork and iLife apps are not stock apps that come with the OS. They are not installed by OS X and are not updated or upgraded with OS X. They are suites of apps that Apple has at times in the past decided to give to users free with the purchase of a new Mac, but are otherwise for sale in the Mac App Store (MAS) for those who did not qualify to receive them for free. Unlike the actual stock apps installed by OS X, which are not for sale in the MAS. Because they are apps sold in the MAS, they must be accepted into a user's iTunes/MAS account when the Mac is first set up, which then completes the consumer licensing of the apps with an Apple ID which is encoded into the apps and allows them to be redownloaded and updated, as well as used on any Mac that the user owns or has in their control.

Because they were a gift given with the purchase of a Mac at some time in the past and because the company for which you work either doesn't have an IT department or has an IT department that doesn't understand Macs and the MAS, the previous user of the Mac was allowed by the company to adopt the apps into their consumer iTunes/MAS Apple ID along with the original version of OS X that came with the Mac and any upgrade they may have made to OS X.

Can't sign into App store, problems with Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.