Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health app hanging - Possible to wipe/reset?

I'm getting a hang on iOS 8.0.x and 8.1 when I try to access any data in the Health app. The charts don't show any data at all, and "Show all data" hangs with a spinning circle, and the iPhone starts getting hot. I left it 5+ minutes, no data appears.

Periodically I will get "Show all data" to show a bit of data, what I see is tons of duplicated records going back many weeks, so I have a guess that a Withings bug inserted tons and tons of duplicative data into Health which is now causing me issues.

I have tried hitting "Edit" and "Clear All", but nothing seems to happen.

Anyone else seeing similar? I'd be happy to wipe all of the data and start fresh if that were possible.

On the Withings side, I turned off Health synchronization and asked it to remove all data, but this was not completed. I also tried turning off Withings ability to sync from within Health, hoping this would offer a "Turn off and delete?" prompt, without success.

iPhone 5s, now on iOS 8.1.0, problems started on iOS 8.0.2 when I first attempted to sync Withings data into Health.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 2:39 AM

Interestingly I am having the exact same issue - also a Withings user. I'm sure its an Apple problem rather than Withings. I have even removed the Withings app which again offers to remove Health data - but then doesn't. It's all still there. The whole Health app is riddled with bugs, freezing screens, sometimes displaying the items on the dashboard but other times not. If you try and export all data it crashes too. I hoped 8.1 was going to fix all this but its no different to before. I hope they get round to sorting this soon as its currently a disaster.

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2014 2:39 AM in response to TheDaveCA

Interestingly I am having the exact same issue - also a Withings user. I'm sure its an Apple problem rather than Withings. I have even removed the Withings app which again offers to remove Health data - but then doesn't. It's all still there. The whole Health app is riddled with bugs, freezing screens, sometimes displaying the items on the dashboard but other times not. If you try and export all data it crashes too. I hoped 8.1 was going to fix all this but its no different to before. I hope they get round to sorting this soon as its currently a disaster.

Oct 21, 2014 10:00 AM in response to TheDaveCA

Same for me. Health app hangs. It doesn't work at all with my Withings anymore.

If I enable sync in HealthMate and only scroll down and back up the settings page the switch has been reset.

If I do anything in the HealthKit app it hangs, e.g. if I enable something for the Withing app or if I simply select healthdata "Me".

It always hangs.

Removed and reinstalled Withings. No difference...

Oct 21, 2014 1:43 PM in response to gvde

I have the same problem.

I fear that it is maybe a problem with big amounts of data because my iPhone says health is using 1.6GB of data, wich I am not able to delete, because it will stay if i delete the withings app even if a say yes delete health data.

I hope that there will be a fix from apple, because withings support say they don't can help me with this issue.

Does anyone know a mailingadress from apple to report this problem?

Oct 22, 2014 7:40 AM in response to TheDaveCA

I believe I'm having the same trouble. Would love to hear comment from Apple to know if this is a Health app bug, WiThings integration bug, both, etc... I agree it's annoying. The widgets don't seem to hold and always show on the hone screen of Health. I constantly have to go back and turn them on and they still don't show data. Pleas fix, Apple!

Oct 24, 2014 7:16 PM in response to TheDaveCA

same issue here with it hanging. I also notice that even though i only have Withings tracking my steps AND it is reporting the correct number of steps, it shows my daily average at over 100,000. I am NOT that active. in fact, there are some days that are showing close to 800k. That is what prompted me to "show all data" and then it hangs. It does this on steps, calories, and walking+running distance. It shows my daily average at 35 miles.

Rebooting did not fix.

There is no way i know of to remove the iphone and the "health" option as data sources for steps, etc. it looks like there is a multiplying effect going on by this. for instance, if my withings says i walked 10,000 steps today and my iphone counted 10,000 steps (even though i have tried to turn that off), that is clearly not right.

Currently in my data sources for "steps" as an example, I have Withings, then Health, the iPhone. Again, there is no way for me to remove health and iphone as a data source for the health app. I tried touching edit but i cannot uncheck anything but withings.

Oct 27, 2014 1:49 PM in response to TheDaveCA

Having the same issues. Health app is useless. Sometimes it displays charts with data, sometimes it displays charts with "No Data", sometimes it doesn't display the charts at all. The application is apparently using 657mb, but god knows what is there, how to read it or how to reset the **** thing. Just unusable at the moment, very disappointing effort by apple. The app seems riddled with bugs, worst app launch since maps (if fact worse than that). Hope Apple is aware of the issues and are working to resolve them, but I'm not hearing anything to that effect.

Oct 28, 2014 3:12 PM in response to TheDaveCA

I had the exact same issue (iPhone 6, 8.1). Settings showed Health using 2.1GB of data. With only three apps importing information, that was way too large.

HealthKit data is only backed up if the device is sync'd to iTunes and encrypted backups are used.

So, I turned off encrypted backups, backed up the device, wiped it, and restored from backup. (Restoring from an encrypted backup will simply restore the already corrupted HealthKit data.)

Once I verified that everything was working, I turned encrypted backups back on, and went on my way.

Post restore / wipe of HealthKit, I reimported all my health data from Withings, Strava, and MyFitnessPal, and system information showed HealthKit only using 1.2MB of storage.

I'm guessing a first Health-enabled iteration of one of those apps went a little crazy and imported way too much, way too many times.

Oct 28, 2014 7:07 PM in response to RexMonday

I have two similar apps - WiThings and MyFitnessPal. Coincidence? I have a feeling there might be something to it. Incidentally, do you have MyFitnessPal syncing with WiThings? I thought that might be an issue and then realized that WiThings does not write the same food data to Health app.

I'd love it if there was some other way that to back-up, wipe and then restore. So painstakingly difficult. Apple, anyone listening? Replies?

Oct 29, 2014 5:26 AM in response to ZachEagle

I did, and still do, have Withings and MFP syncing with each other.

And, this morning, Health is back to being non-functional. Settings shows it using 129MB right now, so I'm guessing one of those apps is still writing way too much data, since I know I haven't done anywhere near enough to account for that much data growth in the last 18 hours.

Health app hanging - Possible to wipe/reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.