Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Doe Final Cut Pro 7 work in Yosemite?

Does anyone know if Final Cut Pro 7 work in the new Yosemite upgrade?

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 2:19 PM

It does on my system, but FCP-7 was discontinued and abandoned by Apple many years ago, so you won't get any help from Apple if does not work on yours . . .

User uploaded file

MtD

19 replies

Oct 24, 2014 1:40 PM in response to cameradude2

The short answer is YES.

HOWEVER:

Installing Yosemite will break your installation of FCP7... FCP will subsequently crash while launching. I fixed mine by doing two things:

1) Using a utility like CleanMyMac 2, COMPLETELY uninstall FCP7 and all other programs associated with that version of Studio.

2) Re-install Final Cut Studio (which includes FCP7) from your install disks.

All is well on my system again; FCP 7 works fine under Yosemite!

Oct 24, 2014 1:59 PM in response to YahMonMan

Clean My Mac, Clean My Mac 2, and MacKeeper etc. are regarded as unnecessary at best, and possibly system corrupting. They also appear to be difficult to completely remove once installed - not a good sign.

See the following threads (or search this site for many, many more):

Is Clean My Mac 2 helpful for speeding up at Macbook Pro?

Re: CleanMyMac 2 causing problems in Mavericks 10.9.1

Re: Is MacKeeper Safe to use to remove Adware?

I, personally, would not let anyone of those products near my computers, but it is, of course, up to you.

MtD

Oct 26, 2014 3:50 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Thank for the advice and link, Meg, but your are overly paranoid RE CleanMyMac 2. For fear of hijacking this tread (FCP + Yosamite) I will be very brief. (And, no, I do not work for MacPaw and am generally not a fan of their software.)

I've been a Mac-man since '84, and still have my 512k Mac SE (Yes, I still have it working). Now I am a Certified Computer Forensic Examiner and know very very well what goes on under the hood of OS X, am very familiar with the directory corruption that seems so persistent in the HFS+ file system, the relatively unstable permissions and all the crap that doesn't get cleaned out or managed"automatically" or at all by OS X. I don't need Arabic, French, Spanish, Danish or any other of the multitude of language iterations of OS X and/or other Apple software that unnecessarily sapping gigabytes of space on my machine. If I drag an App to the Trash there can be a multitude of extensions, drivers, settings/plists files and other junk that does NOT get removed with it... and if the average user discovers how to get into their relatively hidden Users/(Profile)/Library and try to remove stuff manually they are very likely to screw up their OS or break their other software. I have tested CleanMyMac 2 in a lab environment and, while the original was kind of screwy and less effective, CleanMyMac 2, does an excellent job of getting rid of totally unnecessary, disk-bloating CRAP from your drive and does it in a manner that is way more efficient and reliable than trying to do it manually. I've never had a negative experience with CMM2 and have found it to be no more difficult to remove manually than any of a bunch of other software.

While it does nothing to correct permissions errors or fix directory issues (sorry OS X Disk Utility ***** at that), I've found it to do an excellent job at locating and cleaning out all the stuff that OS X simply does not do on its own and does result in a more efficient, slightly faster-running machine.

Again, Meg, I appreciate your trying to help me out and provide caution regarding "cleaning" software. I, myself remain generally dubious about other products from MacPaw (particularly Gemini). It is certainly your right to avoid all of it and even Troll my feedback regarding CMM2. But lab results don't lie and my experience has consistently shown CleanMyMac 2 to be useful and non-destructive to my system and/or other software.

...... And it was an effective utility I used to get my FCP 7 to work again.

Oct 26, 2014 10:24 AM in response to YahMonMan

If you want to use it, and are aware of the software's reputation - it's totally up to you.

But for anyone else reading this thread:

If I had problems with an FCP installation, I would have used this procedure:

Trash FCP Preferences, either manually, as outlined in this Apple Support Document:

Final Cut Pro 7: Troubleshooting Basics

or use Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion (free):

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

and Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility, and see if that helps. If not, and the computer/system is otherwise stable, consider an FCP fresh install, using

Digital Rebellion's FCS Remover (free):

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

to remove all traces of FCS prior to attempting the install.

There is also more troubleshooting info here:

Your first FCP troubleshooting step: Deleting FCP preferences

Common FCP Troubleshooting tips

MtD

Oct 26, 2014 11:17 AM in response to YahMonMan

I have tested CleanMyMac 2 in a lab environment and, while the original was kind of screwy and less effective, CleanMyMac 2, does an excellent job of getting rid of totally unnecessary, disk-bloating CRAP from your drive and does it in a manner that is way more efficient and reliable than trying to do it manually. I've never had a negative experience with CMM2 and have found it to be no more difficult to remove manually than any of a bunch of other software.

When I tested CleanMy Mac 2 half a year ago, the result was frightening. The test iPhoto libraries it "cleaned" were corrupted beyond repair. All high resolution original image files deleted and replaced by lower resolution, wrong edited versions. The Mac was much slower afterwards, because the caches needed rebuilding.

If you use the tool, don't let it do anything automatically.

Oct 26, 2014 12:35 PM in response to YahMonMan

YahMonMan wrote:

1) Using a utility like CleanMyMac 2, COMPLETELY uninstall FCP7 and all other programs associated with that version of Studio.

2) Re-install Final Cut Studio (which includes FCP7) from your install disks.

Never use any 3rd party "clean up" or "app zapper" program to uninstall software on a Mac. The Mac does not have a good installer architecture like Windows. Files can literally exist anywhere. There is no possibility for a 3rd party to know where all those files might reside. Apps purchased from the Mac App Store can be uninstalled via the LaunchPad. For anything else, the only option is to use vendor-provided uninstaller or uninstallation instructions. In this case, the closest thing I could find is this support document from Apple: Final Cut Pro 7: Troubleshooting Basics

Oct 26, 2014 3:39 PM in response to YahMonMan

No we're not paranoid. We've get numerous posts each week (sometimes each day) regarding Macs or iPhoto libraries which are not working correctly. Removing CYM usually fixes the situation but sometimes the damage is great enough that a reinstall of the system is required.

There is no way I would ever recommend using a cleaning or optimizing application on a Mac.

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2014 4:00 PM in response to YahMonMan

Let me join the bandwagon and point out that CleanMyMac is crap. Most of the things it cleans up because it thinks they're "unnecessary," are really quite necessary. If you truly notice an increase in performance, it did not come from CleanMyMac, and you're a rare case if it didn't cause a decrease in performance.

I'm glad you've had no problems but please don't suggest software with such a bad reputation to others, as they'll likely not be as fortunate as you.

Oct 26, 2014 5:15 PM in response to cameradude2

While I do not have the same technical environment testing as some more meticulous members of the forum, I do trust them when they say "dangerous" -- as you seem to be learning.

The good contributors will give you useful feedback, and experience based on personal needs. If you want to pre-research new software, the "search" option will quickly reveal vast numbers of threads related to the goodness or badness of software.

If you want to keep an eye on your system, one of the senior contributors named etresoft has created "etrecheck" which only tells you potential issues and lets you fix them yourself. If you post results you cannot understand from etrecheck, etresoft and others will help you understand them.

Doe Final Cut Pro 7 work in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.